cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jay1771
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Firewall has gotten turned off (more to it then just that please read description)

Hi all,

So I was just minding my own business and then suddenly I get a pop up (usual system pop up notification) saying system software was blocked from loading for a particular app. The app in question was "McAfeeSystemExtensions". I went on to the total protection console to see what was up and find that the firewall was turned off. I had tried to turn it on but that does not work as it tries and then just goes back to the firewall is off screen again. I checked the protection history and see that there was an update listed about 2 mins before the initial pop up, there was an update session which had been "stopped". I have attached an image below about what I am talking about, could someone let me know if this is legitimately part of the update because I have never ever had this pop up before and I have never seen McAfee or its associating sub-apps be called "McAfeeSystemExtensions", its normally something on the lines of just "McAfee".

Also for future reference should the firewall being of on McAfee be a something of great concern or is it ok if I just get the issue solved quite swiftly .

Look forward to your valuable advice.

Thank you 

Jay

Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 23.04.56.png

McAfee Total Protection 

8 Replies
cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Firewall has gotten turned off (more to it then just that please read description)

hello,

i could find this mcafee service article;

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/oracle/webcenter/page/scopedMD/s55728c97_466d_4ddb_952d_...

maybe it can help you.

also note the information at the end of this article.

greetings

Jay1771
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Re: Firewall has gotten turned off (more to it then just that please read description)

Hi @cyberdude ,

I had read through the article but there is one thing that doesn't quite add up, from the article, which is that I'm not currently on that version of OS.

My main concern is just if I should allow the app to load, as I haven't seen that name before and I wanted to get confirmation if it was legit before I allowed it to run from my device's settings.

Thank you

Jay

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 9

hello,

thank you for your update.

have you seen and read the TS article System Extension Blocked at the end of the document ?

the TS article ;

McAfee KB - "System Extension Blocked" after you upgrade to Big Sur (TS103090)

if this could not help you i would suggest to wait for a mod from mcafee or contact live support by phone or chat perhaps.

to contact live support;

https://service.mcafee.com

in the middle of the website is on the right side a button talk with a expert. 

click on that and follow steps 

regarding firewall i know that when you are on BigSur that the mcafee firewall is currently not available and that you should use the Mac Os firewall instead.for the time being.

in this Mac topic there are some topics about that issue you can find and read also.

hope this helps ?

greetings

Jay1771
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Hi @cyberdude ,

Thank you very for the reply, yes I did have a look at the articles below the page as well, although they don't seem to be too applicable to this case. Firstly, in my situation "McAfeeSystemExtensions" is what has been named to be blocked. On the other hand the article states of an app from "McAfee, Inc." being blocked. "McAfee, Inc." is the normal expected name and I would have let the app run but in this case it's given the unusual label of "McAfeeSystemExtensions"which is why I'm unsure. In addition to this, as I had mentioned before I'm not on that OS.

I will wait a bit to see if a mod can help out.

Thank you very much for trying to help out though, it's highly appreciated.

Jay

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 9

hello,

thanks for the answer.

i will try to ask a mod to assist you on this; hope there comes a respons to it.

personal i think it is legit message from mcafee but better on the safe side than to say sorry when it goes wrong.

hello @Allwyn_GI 

can you help this person perhaps with his question ?

greetings

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 9

hello @Jay1771 

update;

message is received by the mod and they are investigating the situation and respond here with outcome.

greetings

Allwyn_GI
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 9

Hi @Jay1771, and @cyberdude 

Sorry for the delay in response, you can refer the below article to turn on McAfee Firewall. Thank you.

How to enable McAfee firewall on macOS 11 Big Sur

Regards,

Allwyn I

Jay1771
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Hi @Allwyn_GI ,

Thank you very much for the response, just to double confirm the app (picture attached below) is meant to be a legitimate part of the software right? Also, do you know if there any articles on what the app does, mainly just want to know out of curiosity, don't worry if finding it is a tedious task. 

Thank you 

Jay

Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 19.57.15.png

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community