Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tzon
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

Very confusing firewall settings

What is the difference between the following settings and how are they combined? It makes no sense to me. 

Quoting from McAfee's help page. 

1) Firewall > Traffic Controller 

Smart AccessAutomatically allow known programs on your PC to send and receive information over the Internet.
Monitored AccessMonitor information that is sent to and from programs on your PC. Personal Firewall prompts you to allow or deny access when unrecognized programs attempt to send or receive information, providing more control and security

2) Firewall > Smart advice 

a) When you want comprehensive protection that doesn't need much management, set Smart Advice to allow or block programs automatically. Smart Advice will alert you only about unrecognized and potentially dangerous programs.

b) When you want to be closely involved in managing your PC's security, or know of programs that you want to allow or deny access to the Internet, set Smart Advice to ask you to choose whether to allow access each time a potentially dangerous program tries to access the Internet. Smart Advice even displays a recommendation to help you choose whether to allow programs Internet access. 

end of quote

It seems that they do the same thing! Could I select Controller -> smart access and Smart advice -> ask me to choose? What would that do? 

2 Replies

Re: Very confusing firewall settings

There should be a document explaining these settings. Search in service.mcafee

Tzon
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: Very confusing firewall settings

Yes, I am quoting the document. It doesn't make sense. 

Both seem to do the same thing but are written in different words. 

I'm keeping the default settings, so I should be good, but this is kind of a mess... 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community