Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ngwillis
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

Trying to remove fake vault

Jump to solution

The documents folder where my vault resides was somehow pointed to the documents folder on OneDrive and my Vault was moved there. When Microsoft answers sorted it out for me, my vault in my local documents folder was unchanged but it looks like the folder that was a vault in my onedrive is no longer a Mcafee Vault, it just has the same name and properties.

Can anyone suggest how to change the permissions so I can delete this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ngwillis
Level 8
Message 3 of 5

Re: Trying to remove fake vault

Jump to solution

Your answer to my question is completely inadequate.

A complete stranger has shown me that the answer lies in your knowledge base here -->

Solved: McAfee Support Community - How do I remove folder called "Mcafee Vaults"? - McAfee Support C...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Hello @ngwillis 

The Vault which is located in your local drive can't be deleted or uninstalled since it installs automatically when you install McAfee on the computer. It gets removed only when you uninstall McAfee from the computer. Since the Vault that appears in OneDrive doesn't belong to McAfee, we kindly request you to have a word with Microsoft and they would be able to help you.

Regards,
Madhan M

ngwillis
Level 8
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Your answer to my question is completely inadequate.

A complete stranger has shown me that the answer lies in your knowledge base here -->

Solved: McAfee Support Community - How do I remove folder called "Mcafee Vaults"? - McAfee Support C...

View solution in original post

Bagacats
Level 7
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi Ya,

That link is in the enterprise section and I'm a domestic user so I can't access the solution.

Anyhow, I got rid of it using a windows bash shell.

• Download a windows bash terminal and open it.
  • If you don't know unix Download the bash reference manual.
  • Use cd (change directory), pwd (path) etc to navigate to the vault directory. 
  • rm -r 'Mcafee Vaults'

McAfee will reinstall it on reboot, but at least you can do maintenance on the directory without it interfering with everything you try and do.

And yeah I Agree with everyone else. either move this somewhere where it wont annoy everyone, or give owners the ability to at least move or delete the folder. 

ngwillis
Level 8
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi.

Interesting response.

The fake vault that i had was not the active part of the installation but a relic of a system fault. It still had the same properties though.

I was able to get rid of it by adjusting the protections and then deleting it without any real problem.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community