Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john47
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 13

Renewal Ads

My new laptop came with one month MCafee which I replaced at the end of trial period with MCafee Lifesafe. I am being plagued by renewal reminders (6+/day), some of which are quite worrying. For instance that my PC has become infected with 8 viruses sender address **personal information omitted**). Who is responsible for this and how can i stop it.  I reported this to MCafee (case ref:SR2869626420) but the problem persists.

12 Replies
Magesh
Message 2 of 13

Re: Renewal Ads

Hi @john47 

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Ads which are getting on your PC might be prompting from your browsers. Please check whether any un related extensions are installed and remove them. 

Also let us know from where you are getting these alerts. 

Thanks,

john47
Level 7
Message 3 of 13

thanks Magesh, I am a computer novice so i have reset my browser settings to see if this helps. i did post a sender address on my first post but mcafee deleted this.  I have had a look at the 8 mails i have received today and all are from different addresses. if I continue to get these I will update tomorrow.

Try some of the free scanner mentioned here especially getsusp by Mcafee and see if they find anything. Ensure you disable malwarebytes real time scanning or remove the program after running it as that feature may clash with McAfee

Antispyware tools

john47
Level 7
Message 5 of 13

Thanks Peacekeeper, as I say I am a computer novice and nervous about downloading any software i dont know and understand. I will wait and see how things develop today before following your suggestion. Thanks a lot for your help.

john47
Level 7
Message 6 of 13

An update. Still getting the numerous reminders but I think in trying to be brief I've misled you guys. I first started to see these reminder mails for a Norton antivirus software, which had expired on my old desktop and I didn't replace. Of course my email address is shared across all my devices and therefore my new desktop and MCafee are not the likely catalyst for the spam. I'll try Peacekeepers suggestion when I get a bit of time later on both devices. Thanks again for you help.

You haven't the old desktop if so run the norton removal tool and maybe that will stop the ads to your email

john47
Level 7
Message 8 of 13

Thanks Peacekeeper. I'm still getting the notifications but i will fire up the old PC and try your suggestion. cheers fingers crossed.

john47
Level 7
Message 9 of 13

Update: removed all traces of norton but notifications still came. Tried MCafee malware tool as suggested. Found 21 suspicious files, all connected to AVG antivirus software. It's a free download. The only one I could find to keep my old PC (running on Vista) operating safely (so I thought). What next? Can I protect Vista? Any thoughts appreciated. 

On both the old 1 and new 1 download and run getsusp and malwarebytes with getsusp add it your preferences so if they find anything you will be kept updated. With malwarebytes uninstall it after running unless you can figure how to disable the real time scanning.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community