cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GrifterGuru
Contributor III
Message 1 of 23

Real Time Scanning turning itself on and scheduled scan running despite settings.

Version Info from latest install yesterday:

Version: 4.9.1.1 (1163)
Affid: 384
Language: en-gb

Anti-Malware
Version: 4.9.0 (100)
Engine Version: 6200.9189
DAT Version: 10253.0000
DAT Creation Date: 9/2/2022

Firewall
Version: 4.9.4 (625

Web Advisor
Version: 4.9.0 (270)

Ever since installing LiveSafe (at least 5 years now, very possibly more), I have maintained "real time scanning" as being switched off, yet the software still keeps turning itself back on and still runs a "Scheduled scan" despite being set NOT to run.

I run MacOS High-Sierra (I prefer it over the newer variants for app compatability) on a more than capable machine so this needs some resolution if I am to keep mcafee as a product on my machine.

I DO actually run a weekly scan, at a convenient time TO ME, NOT when the "Software" THINKS it should be run!

The software should NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES override my choices and think it knows better because the resulting crash from an unexpected "Scheduled scan" is something I am not willing to live with. It has happened multiple times right in the middle of some involved work, the result is that  that days work is completely lost and my time wasted.

I have uninstalled, cleaned and re-installed the latest version all to no avail as the behaviour remains unchanged no matter what I have tried.

WHY does the software "think" it knows better?
WHY does the software constantly reverse the setting for realtime scanning from off to on?
WHY does the software consistently run a "Scheduled scan" when it is set NOT TO RUN?
WHEN are you, McAfee going to get this garbage sorted out?

22 Replies
GaneshR
Message 2 of 23

Re: Real Time Scanning turning itself on and scheduled scan running despite settings.

Hi @GrifterGuru 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Due to the nature of issue, we have sent you private message. Please respond to take it further.

Regards

Ganesh Raju R

GrifterGuru
Contributor III
Message 3 of 23

Re: Real Time Scanning turning itself on and scheduled scan running despite settings.

As regards that private message, I will NOT be providing any numbers or times.

The last time I provided such details I was harrassed for months by the support team (after issue resolution) with so many calls, it got to the point I had no choice but to change my number.

That will NOT happen again.

And no, you will NOT be gaining "remote access" to my machine either as that too was suggested in the past and was refused then.

What needs to be said can be said openly where everyone can read it unless you have something to hide.

This is an issue with McAfee SOFTWARE plain and simple. it is NOT as a result of my machine, nor any apps that are installed.

I am looking for a solution to the problem, not excuses or smoke-screens.

GrifterGuru
Contributor III
Message 4 of 23

So no idea why the software is overriding my choice to keep something switched off then and no potential solution, Or just no interest in helping since I have no intention of giving out a telephone number to discuss this privately and then be harrased by your tech department for months after resolution as happened before?

GrifterGuru
Contributor III
Message 5 of 23

Surely SOMEBODY has an idea what the issue is?

I have lost a half day of work today due to this issue and I am sick and tired of it.

There must be a reason for this and I am damned if I can find it and neither can a computer technician ither as we both drew the same conclusion that the McAfee software itself is at fault.

Ironically, I never had this issue on a windows based machine, only ever suffering the problem once I switched to MacOS!

GrifterGuru
Contributor III
Message 6 of 23

C'mon, surely SOMEBODY knows how to deal with this issue that is affecting the MacOS version of the McAfee software?

GrifterGuru
Contributor III
Message 7 of 23

Ok, so it is blatantly obvious that no help will be forthcoming and McAfee staff have no interest in working towards a resolution of this issue.

Since I refuse to use software that is not supported by people who have any interest in problem resolution, nor any idea how to resolve a particular recurring issue, I will be removing ALL instances of McAfee from my machines.

That being the case, GOODBYE McAfee Hello NORTON!

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 23

reading your messages i would say that assistance was offered from official mcafee moderator.

you have decided not to react on the private message that was sent.

maybe you had bad experience in the past with harrassement calls ect.

i have Mcafee since 2016 and following this community since and never have seen reports after contact with  official mcafee from community or live chat/phone support.

these mods can be trusted or you can choose for chat or phone support and ask if they can assist.

hope this helps a bit

greetings

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 23

in addition;

i know a mcafee moderator in this community that is trustworthy from my own experience.

i can sent a private message to this moderator for assistance if you want ?

GrifterGuru
Contributor III
Message 10 of 23

Regarding that "PM" it was literally aimed at a Windows PC, not a Mac and what advice was given was downright ridiculous.

RE Previous Experience & Harrasement, it was not just once that the situation arose so I have no desire to trad that path again. It has, historically, cost me the Change of a household telephone number and two mobile telephone number changes.

To be fair, I am not an "Average" user more of an advanced user and have access to a number of techs (if I ever need it, which is virtually never, unless I want to double check things), none of whom can figure the issue and all of whom have stated quite clearly the issue is with the software, which is the conclusion I drew.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community