Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RABrand55
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 20

Protect Home Network not working

I have McAfee LiveSafe installed on a Windows 10 Home PC and on a Windows 10 Pro PC.

Both PC's are fully updated, as well as all applications, including McAfee LiveSafe.

Here is the issue I am having.... On the Windows 10 Home PC, when I go to 'My Info' and click on 'Protect home network', all the devices on my home network are shown.

When I do the same thing on the Windows 10 Pro PC, there are NO devices shown, only the message 'Please wait while we check your network...'.  This message is displayed until I leave that page and no matter how long I wait, nothing is ever displayed except that message.

What do I need to do for this function to work correctly on the Windows 10 Pro PC??

Thanks....

19 Replies
Magesh
Message 2 of 20

Re: Protect Home Network not working

Hi @RABrand55 

Please check the home network by connecting with alternate connection and update the status. Ensure McAfee is updated with all latest updates. 

Thanks,

RABrand55
Level 7
Message 3 of 20

I have tried this with both Ethernet (wired) and WiFi (wireless) connections.  McAfee is at the latest version.  Windows and all drivers are also at the latest version.

This is a Dell Inspiron 17 3793 laptop, and all Dell drivers are up to date according to their 'Support Assistant" application.

I have no problem pinging or connecting to other devices on this network.

There is a shared network folder on the Windows 10 Home PC, and I have no problems accessing that share from the Windows 10 Pro PC using Ethernet or WiFi.

I can run NMap (a network mapping application) and it has no difficulty in finding all my network devices.

What method does McAfee use to scan my network??

As I stated in my original post, 'Protect Home Network' works great with Windows 10 Home, but Windows 10 Pro never returns any results.

RABrand55
Level 7
Message 4 of 20

So, I tried something different.  I completely removed LiveSafe from my Windows 10 Pro PC.  I also used the McAfee tool for complete removal.

I then installed the McAfee Small Business Security program which came with my Dell PC.

It has the same 'Protect Home Network' on the 'My Info' tab.

It doesn't work either.  Same result, it just displays 'Please wait while we check your network...'.

Here is a screen shot.....  LiveSafe and Small Business Security both display identical messages.

mcafee.JPG

gneil15
Level 7
Message 5 of 20

I've got exactly the same problem, but on Windows 10 Home x64.

Livesafe has all current updates (including the new UI). Win 10 is completely updated.

Did you manage to find a solution ?

Cheers.

RABrand55
Level 7
Message 6 of 20

Nope, no solution, no communication.

I got one reply after my initial post which advised me to ensure my system has all current updates installed.

My system is current, all updates installed.  I am quite vigilant when it comes to updates!

I guess when they don't have a solution to an issue, it's easier to ignore it than it is to fix it.....

I have another issue with McAfee.... I have a DirectX utility I use to play older video games, and McAfee is constantly quarantining it.....  So, I entered the utility in 'Excluded Files', and it STILL gets quarantined!!  I am not the only one who has this issue....

gneil15
Level 7
Message 7 of 20

Cheers for the response.

Guess the more people who report issues, the more likely McAfee are to look into it.

In common with you I also have another issue with (I believe) McAfee.

Every so often Windows Explorer crashes on me and restarts. The behaviour is random in nature and has only started happening in the last few weeks or so. Been running McAfee for a good few years with no issues up till now.

I'm going to run with Real Time Scanning disabled fror a while to see if that makes the system more stable. If it does, i'll try uninstalling/reinstalling McAfee to see if that makes a difference.

Much as though I don't want to, I may have to look at a different AV solution if I can't get round this issue.

All the best. :)

gneil15
Level 7
Message 8 of 20

Hi,

I found a solution to the Protect Home Network issue (at least for me).

By any chance, do you have any VMWare products installed on your Win 10 Pro machine ?

I have VMWare player installed on my Win 10 Home machine, but haven't used it for a while.

Was having a think and seeing as it seemed to be a network scanning issue I was wondering if McAfee was having a problem with the additional network adapters that VMWare products install, so I disabled both the VMNet 1 & VMNet 8 adapters and ran Protect Home Network again and bingo Livesafe detected the network.

Even if you don't have any VMWare products installed on your Win 10 Pro machine, perhaps you could try disabling any additional network adapters to see if that helps.

I believe this needs to be reported to McAfee as it's a bug. Could one of the mods here let McAfee know ?

Now all I need to do is the slightly more thorny issue of trying to figure out why Livesafe Real Time Scanning seems to be crashing Windows Explorer.

Feel free to let me know how you get on.

Cheers. :)

RABrand55
Level 7
Message 9 of 20

Hello!

There is a good chance that your diagnosis is correct.  I make extensive use of Hyper-V on my system, and it creates several 'Virtual' network adapters.

It's not so easy to disable those, because the physical adapter is assigned as a 'Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch'.  Network activity shows up in Task Manager under 'vEthernet Virtual Switch'.  The physical adapter is not even visible there!

It's a nightmare to set up virtual machines to communicate with the Internet or the LAN.  There are many different methods to accomplish varying connection scenarios.  Typical Microsoft!

There is a network mapping utility called 'NMap' (I referenced it in a previous post) that has absolutely no problem discovering all the devices on my network.

I have limited understanding of the underlying workings of the discovery process, but you would imagine McAfee should, especially since networking is definitely a part of their business!

Good luck with your Windows Explorer issue..... You might try one of the Microsoft technical communities?

Have a good one!

gneil15
Level 7
Message 10 of 20

Hi,

I guess at the moment (from your perspective) you have to decide what's more important to you. Your Virtual Network or Livesafe's Protect Home Network functionality ? I believe I probably know the answer to that. :)

Microsoft like to play with people's heads don't they ?

Re my Windows Explorer issue, been running with Livesafe's Real Time Scanning disabled and so far (crossing fingers) the system seems to be stable. I'm going to give it a few more days just to be sure. I'm not too hopeful about getting help from the Microsoft technical communities as my experience with them in the past hasn't been great. Just didn't manage to speak to the right people.

Oh well... c'est la vie.

Cheers. :)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community