cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arjenm
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Prevent sending of text message to locate mobile device

Since quite a while I notice that locating a device sends a text message. As I recall the command to locate was never noticable on the mobile device before, but now a text message is sent this results in sounds, vibration and even messages being displayed. The whole purpose of locating a device is to do this silently and unnoticed. How can I make sure a command to locate from the website or from another Livesafe installation will not be noticed? Google Push is enabled on all devices.

Kind regards,

Arjen

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Prevent sending of text message to locate mobile device

I think it varies depending on what device you are using to locate the other one.

If you go to mcafeemobile.com and log in there, click Find My Device, there are 2 buttons, Locate, which merely locates on a map, or Device Message which sends a message. (plus backup and wipe, etc.)

As I don't own a Smart Phone I was testing this using my iPad and no message was sent when I merely located it using my PC.

Maybe Technical Support would be best for you:

Contact Support

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 5

Hi,

Am curious to know if GPS and/or Mobile Data was turned ON which locating.

arjenm
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for thinking with me. Yes, everything is turned on, GPS, mobile data, wireless..And as a reference: when I locate my devices with google/android devicemanager on the internet it works great via Google Push. Only McAfee has started sending text messages to locate my devices a while ago. This applies to Galaxy S4, S5, S7, Tab 10 and Tab Pro 10. Even when I've explicitly confirmed Google Push in the Livesafe app on my devices.

Kind regards,

Arjen

sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 5

How are you trying to locate your device? There are essentially two ways to locate your device from the web.

Login to any one of the two links below select the device you would like to locate and click on locate.

https://home.mcafee.com/secure/protected/login.aspx?culture=en-us

https://www.mcafeemobilesecurity.com/default.aspx

I tried to locate my Android Mobile never received any text message in both the scenarios on got the location of the device on the Map. 

Alternately a secure locate [PIN] can be used to locate your device

For example, if your PIN is 123456, then send Secure locate 123456. After your message is delivered to your device (lost), you will receive a text message from your device with the link to your (lost) device's location.

However in none of the above mentioned options the lost phone receives a message.

Cheers

Sanjay

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community