cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DrTechnical
Contributor II
Message 1 of 21

Please tell me how to remove a device I no longer own from my LiveSafe account.

Jump to solution

There does not seem to be a way to remove devices I no longer own from the list of devices that have ever had LiveSafe installed.

I saw some mention that one has to contact McAfee Tech Support and provide the name of the device and other information to get the "gone" device removed from your account, and then it might take up to 90 days.

Please tell me that, here in the 21st century, we are not forced to send messages to human beings to perform tasks we should be able to complete from the web when logged into our account.

I have more devices than an average person has, and I am often re-purposing them to other uses, which may mean a different operating system, different device name, etc. etc.  If I have to compose a message to McAfee every time I change one of my devices, this is going to get VERY FRUSTRATING.

People are changing their mobile devices quite often.  Are they also going to be faced with this stone-age method of updating active devices?  Please tell me there is another, self-servicing way to accomplish this task for a LiveSafe account.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sivasubramanian
Message 4 of 21

Re: Please tell me how to remove a device I no longer own from my LiveSafe account.

Jump to solution

@DrTechnical 

Sorry for the inconvenience. You can remove / deactivate the unused device in which McAfee is installed from McAfee user interface. Please follow the below steps to remove / deactivate the device from McAfee user interface 

• Open McAfee software on your windows PC
  • Select the devices you want to remove / deactivate on the Home screen appears below Protect more devices
  • Click Settings
  • Click Remove
  • Type in the McAfee account Password to login
  • Click Remote it

Regards
Siva

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members? give Kudos if appropriate

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 21

Re: Please tell me how to remove a device I no longer own from my LiveSafe account.

Jump to solution

Hello @DrTechnical 

The devices that have McAfee uninstalled can be removed depending on the type of device it was installed in the past.

Please follow this McAfee Article that will help you remove the devices that have McAfee uninstalled.

Regards,
Madhan M

DrTechnical
Contributor II
Message 3 of 21

Jump to solution

First off, the McAfee article you referenced is the one I've already seen that says I have to contact McAfee technical support with a request to remove a device.  It specifically states "Only a McAfee Technical Support agent can remove a PC or Mac from your account. You cannot remove a PC or Mac yourself through home.mcafee.com."

This is the reality.  I find I hard to believe that McAfee will not provide a web-based option to remove devices from the Home.McAfee.com site when I am logged in.

In some of my situations, I did not have the opportunity to uninstall the McAfee LiveSafe software before the computer was repurposed, because of an operating system crash or hard drive failure.  If removal of a listed device is dependent upon having properly uninstalled the McAfee software, then I will NEVER be able to remove the device from my list.

I have multiple WIndows-based PC's and one Apple Mac Mini.  Strangely, the device display when I open the Mac or WIndows version of LiveSafe application does NOT show some of the devices I have taken out of service.  It is only on the McAfee web site that the older out-of-service devices are still shown.  Why can't the web site synchronize the list of devices from the active computers I have?

sivasubramanian
Message 4 of 21

Jump to solution

@DrTechnical 

Sorry for the inconvenience. You can remove / deactivate the unused device in which McAfee is installed from McAfee user interface. Please follow the below steps to remove / deactivate the device from McAfee user interface 

• Open McAfee software on your windows PC
  • Select the devices you want to remove / deactivate on the Home screen appears below Protect more devices
  • Click Settings
  • Click Remove
  • Type in the McAfee account Password to login
  • Click Remote it

Regards
Siva

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members? give Kudos if appropriate

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
DrTechnical
Contributor II
Message 5 of 21

Jump to solution

Thanks. Your solution appears to provide for removal of devices now.

Please ensure that the McAfee documentation is updated to show this solution, and remove/revise the article link provided earlier in the thread which says only McAfee technical support personnel can remove a device.

4TimesAYear
Contributor
Message 6 of 21

Jump to solution
I do not see where there is anything remotely resembling "Deactivate" or "remove"
sivasubramanian
Message 7 of 21

Jump to solution

@4TimesAYear 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Since the user interface is changed, we request you to contact support in this regard.

Regards,
Siva N

Lvaerde
Contributor
Message 8 of 21

Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't understand why this has to be so complicated. This procedure is pre-historical in this automation everything time.

Please foresee a possibility to enable the users to manage the registered devices themselves.

Best regards,

Livin

Integrama
Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Jump to solution

@Madhan 

Could you supply a new link to "McAfee Article" in your post of 06-12-2019.

I too, do not have LiveSafe installed on any devices, yet wish to remove non-extant devices from my LiveSafe account.

Regards

Integrama

Integrama
Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Jump to solution

@Lvaerde 

Hi Livin,

Were you successful in removing your non-extant devices?

Any hints - barring ending my subscription. <grin>.

I concur with your request for self-management of the removal of devices within your own LiveSafe account.

I do not have LiveSafe installed on any devices, yet wish to remove non-extant devices from my LiveSafe account.

As you say, this process should be straight-forward.

Regards

Integrama

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community