Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 71 of 110

Re: Module Core Service high cpu and ram usage

Jump to solution

We are aware of this issue and working on a resolution with the highest priority. This does not impact the security of your machine and we will continue updating this thread on the progress towards resolution. Thank you for your patience!

Was my reply helpful? If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
kirkclaybrook
Contributor III
Message 72 of 110

Jump to solution

...working on a resolution with the highest priority.

Since when? Since it was reported over a MONTH ago? Or just since you posted that message?

This does not impact the security of your machine...

Obviously you know what the problem is then so please tell us. 

THE FACT THAT OUR MACHINES ARE UNUSABLE CERTAINLY HELPS.

...we will continue updating this thread on the progress towards resolution.

"Continue"? I seem to have missed all of the other "updates".

Thank you for your patience!

That is bordering on offensive. We don't have a choice. Perhaps an apology might have been more appropriate.

Was my reply helpful? If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

NO. But let's hope that at long last we have a glimmer of hope.

HOW CAN MCAFEE POSSIBLY CLAIM TO BE ABLE TO KEEP US SAFE FROM VIRUSES AND MALWARE WHEN IT HAS TAKEN A MONTH JUST TO GET A VAGUE ACKNOLEGMENT OF THE FACT THAT MCAFEE ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE IS CRIPPLING OUR COMPUTERS?! 

smk420
Contributor II
Message 73 of 110

Jump to solution

I smell a class action lawsuit comming...........

enzokk
Contributor II
Message 74 of 110

Jump to solution

Also have the problem, here is the details, not sure if it will help.

1. Total Protection Version 16 Release name 16.0 R10

2. HP

3. Windows 10

4. Problem happens maybe once a week, or twice, have to hard restart and the usage will be down to 20-30mb RAM, after a few days it is up over 1GB and have to restart. A normal restart via Windows doesn't reset the values.

5. Not sure when or how as it seems to be like a wave as it builds throughout the week

YuriyOk
Contributor II
Message 75 of 110

Jump to solution

Dear enzokk!

So far, the community has noted 2 options for a temporary solution to the problem. 1. Complete reinstallation of McAfee. 2. Boot the PC from the system recovery disc.

These actions helped a maximum for a week.

You offer a third option. But I do not understand him. Could you explain in more detail what "hard restart" means. How to do it practically?

I would be extremely grateful for your clarification.

Sincerely.

kirkclaybrook
Contributor III
Message 76 of 110

Jump to solution

Pretty solid grounds to go legal.

We bought software that was promised to keep our computers safe from malware but that software made our computers unusable...just like malware would.

We are just the few Mcafee customers victims who have the knowhow to identify Mcafee antivirus as the cause of the problem and have posted here. How many others do you think there are out there who don't know Mcafee is the problem...yet? I'm willing to bet it is well into the thousands.

Paulf0063
Contributor
Message 77 of 110

Jump to solution

My Computer started to day with the high memory usage..... Looks like there is no solution from reading posts above. Guess the only solution is to dump this crap software off my computer...

Bye Bye Mcfee, I dont care if I lose money now but I hope a million other people dont renew either.

kandrokae
Contributor
Message 78 of 110

Jump to solution

I have been trying to find a solution since last month and my computer has been practically unusable. I tried uninstalling it, and now that I reinstalled it and connected my account, it tells me that I am in a trial even if I had a 1-year long subscription! Can anyone help me with that issue?

By the way, Module Core Service seems to be working well enough for me since I reinstalled it. Will update if it changes.

vanderw
Contributor
Message 79 of 110

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've lately been having the same issue with McAfee Core Module consuming 60% of my memory.  I'd be willing to send you logs.

wayne.vandermeer@international.gc.ca

BomSquad
Contributor II
Message 80 of 110

Jump to solution

I am having this same issue but only with 16R10. After uninstalling from add/remove programs and then running the MCPR.exe McAfee install cleaner, I reinstalled the product which reverts it back to 16R8. 

Once I am back on 16R8, everything works as expected. As soon as it updates to 16R10, I start getting MMSSHOST.exe stopping all activity at random intervals while it does "something" for a few seconds, then the PC goes back to normal, sort of. I get random static while playing music that also seems related to MMSSHOST.exe as that process jumps to the top of the list for CPU usage when the static occurs. 

I tried running Process Monitor from SysInternals (Microsoft) but I couldn't find a consistant activity that MMSSHOST.exe was doing when the CPU usage spiked. Sometimes it was reading the registry, sometimes it was enumerating the durrently running processes and sometimes it was "profiling". I did notice that sometimes while it was enumerating the running processes there would be a buffer overflow while reading some of the processes. It appears to try to read the process again immediately with success, so I am not sure if this is related or not.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community