Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jarmengol
Contributor III
Message 41 of 110

Re: Module Core Service high cpu and ram usage

Jump to solution
Tang18 I think they removed your comment in Facebook? Sorry but not working...
jarmengol
Contributor III
Message 42 of 110

Jump to solution

Following my previous message, after updating, restarting and some use, the Module Core Service is growing, haven't reached the previous values but I guess it will... Has anyone asked for a refund yet? if so, what has been Mcafee's response? As soon as the size goes back to unacceptable values I will contact them myself... Anyway can anyone suggest a good alternative to this antivirus please?

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 43 of 110

Jump to solution

Hi All

Please clarify if the Module Core Service uses high CPU or high Memory. We have to treat these as seperate issues and investigate. Awaiting the below details in your reply

1. Version of McAfee Suite - Open the user interface > Click Account > About
  2. System Manufacturer - Dell, HP or Lenovo
  3. Operating System - Windows 7, 8.1, 10
  4. Issue occurence - x times a day, x times a week
  5. Other observations - happened after a Windows Update, happens when PC wakes from Sleep, hibernate
  6. Volunteers willing to share logs (McAfee related) - More details on log collection process available in the article TS101980
jarmengol
Contributor III
Message 44 of 110

Jump to solution

Hi Selvan,

1. McAfee LiveSafe Version 16.8 R8, Compilation: 16.8.108, AffId 105.

2. Dell Inspiron.

3. Windows 10.

4. Always.

5. At it's worst regarding Module Core Service: CPU ussage was going up to 20-30% when laptop was on... difficult to know exactly when, but the fan of the laptop was going crazy without even using it (this is how I noticed there was an issue). Memory has also had value peaks of up to 8-9GB at it's worst and usually 3-4GB. Nothing of this would change after restart.

As I mentioned previouly, yesterday I updated Windows Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4089848) and the problem seemed solved, the CPU was mainly in 0% and Memory value went up to 20MB. Today after some PC use, CPU usage still seemed ok but the Memory was aleady getting values of 100-200 MB. As some people have already mentioned, it seems it will only get worse, so a while ago I decided to TOTALLY unistall McAfee and reinstall, since it has also been mentioned this is what customer service does and it works for some time. I can confirm once again Memory went down, after restart it was about 20MB and is currently in 30MB. I will keep you updated with the progress in the next days.

jarmengol
Contributor III
Message 45 of 110

Jump to solution

Hi Selvan,

Already I can update you... only leaving laptop on without use for about an hour, the Module Core Service memory use keeps growing, it's already reached 300MB.

kirkclaybrook
Contributor III
Message 46 of 110

Jump to solution

How much clearer do you need us to make it? the problem is BOTH  high CPU AND high Memory.

1. I've had to uninstall it. Again. But the last one I downloaded and installed was last week.

2. Um, why are there only 3 manufacturers to choose from? My desktop system has an ASUS motherboatd and an i5 processor.

3. Windows 7.

4. Again, which part of this whole sorry saga do we need to make clearer? The problem is constant...Rendering our machines unusable.

5. This happened on a system that had no changes whatsoever and has been stable for years.

6. I'm willing to reinstall it and provide logs only if you gurantee either a solution or a full refund. Without a solution soon I intend to seek a refund anyway.  (Because I've already wasted hours of my time as a result of this problem and I'll no doubt have to waste more time getting a refund).

lightfish
Contributor
Message 47 of 110

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. The McAfee Module Core Service is taking 3,506.1MB.

I am using Windows 10 Pro 64, Dell Vostro laptop, 8GB RAM.

The version of McAfee that I am using is McAfee Total Protection.

The high RAM usage is happening 24 hours even after I restart my laptop.

Please help and provide a solution.

adamitj
Contributor
Message 48 of 110

Jump to solution

My notebook is a Dell Inspiron 7000 series with 16 GB or RAM.

I downloaded and installed McAfee Total Security from McAfee website and McAfee Core Service was acting as described by everyone, consuming as much as 60% of CPU and almost 3 GB of RAM.

It was everytime. 100% of time. Always. It Sucked!

Then I followed someone's advise to manually update (RIGHT CLICK ON MCAFEE ICON ON SYSTEM TRAY, CHECK FOR UPDATES). It took almost 15 minutes to download and update, but after that everything was solved.

Everyone should try this method. 

jarmengol
Contributor III
Message 49 of 110

Jump to solution

adamitj, as I already posted a few days ago I also did that... and yes, it seemed to work... but not for long, after a few restarts and some use of the computer... it started to slowly get back to large size memory use and high % in CPU usage. I believe the higher the Memory gets, the higher the CPU % will go, so initially one doesn't notice the CPU% too much, not until Memory gets to a few GBs.

As I have also mentioned previously, the same happens either when updating Windows Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4089848) (I also had to manually look for the update) or totally unistalling the antivirus and installing it back.

We're not the first to experience exactly the same, so it's more than proven there is an issue affecting in the same way to many people. 

kirkclaybrook
Contributor III
Message 50 of 110

Jump to solution

It only fixes the problem temporarily.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community