Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Komposten
Contributor II
Message 1 of 110

Module Core Service high cpu and ram usage

Jump to solution

Hi!

Not sure if this is related to the McAfee Management Service host - VERY HIGH CPU USAGE issue, hence posting in a new thread.

So, today McAfee started acting out all weird. Randomly when playing games my fps would drop to 1, and the whole game would freeze/lag for a few seconds before returning to normal. After a while I managed to figure out that McAfee's Module Core Service was the culprit -- it randomly jumps up to 20-30% CPU usage (which causes the whole laptop to lag to the point where I can't even move the mouse), while also maintaining a consistent 2-3GB of ram usage (see https://imgur.com/a/9Yj9M)!

What is Module Core Service doing that can cause it to freeze the whole system like this? And is there anything I can do to prevent this?

I have tested restarting, with no results. McAfee Virtual Technician or whatever it is called found no problems. I'm running Win 10 x64, with McAfee LiveSafe 16.0 R8.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 97 of 110

Re: Module Core Service high cpu and ram usage

Jump to solution

@jonno2001wrote:

/*! $FileVersion=1.1.129 */ var engine_fileVersion = "1.1.129";

I just realized that you are referring to the problem with MMSSHOST.exe using high CPU. 

Others whom faced the problem with Module Core Service, kindly post back the version from previous post.

View solution in original post

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 99 of 110

Jump to solution

@jonno2001wrote:

Ah, sorry my fault for misleading ... im in the wrong thread

No worries

@Everyone

The problem should disappear in CA Engine version 1.1.126 or later. Refer to my previous posts on how to identify the engine version.

View solution in original post

109 Replies
Ade57
Contributor II
Message 2 of 110

Jump to solution
I am having the same problem today. McAfee Module Core Service is dominating my memory useage at typically 405 Mb.
wdcraig01
Contributor
Message 3 of 110

Jump to solution

I am also having the same issue - too much ram beingused by McAfee Module Core Service

davincybla
Contributor
Message 4 of 110

Jump to solution

I have this issue as well. McAfee Module Core Service as of this moment is using about 40% CPU and 70% Memory (4000MB) when I am running nothing else but Google Chrome.

I've done multiple scans with the McAfee LiveSafe tool but nothing unusual comes up.

I've tried ending the McAfee Module Core Service via task manager but it is impossible. I've traced the service to C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\ModuleCore , but I'm reluctant to do anything as it seems to be related to the registry.

kirkclaybrook
Contributor III
Message 5 of 110

Jump to solution

I'm also having this problem on Windows 7. Nothing has changed, it's a stable system with no issues at all until today it suddenly grinds to a halt. At first I thought it had crashed because it was completely uinresponsive. 

Task manager shows ModuleCoreService.exe constantly using 25-50% of cpu and abput 3.6-9GB of ram. WTF?! I've tried all the obvious stuff. PC is unusable like this.

McAfee seems to be notorious for this usse from what I've read. I paid a lot of money for the bells and whistles with unlimited licences. Unless I see a solution here quickly I'll be uninstalling it and demanding a refund (under Australian Consumer Law) because the product is 'not fit for purpose'. I'll then go back to a free one like Avira which kept me safe for years and never caused any issues.

NOT HAPPY! 

therealrdc
Contributor
Message 6 of 110

Jump to solution

Same problem for me.

15%-25% CPU usage, 8-9 Gb RAM usage.

Hard to play anything.

ripley
Contributor II
Message 7 of 110

Jump to solution

I have also had this issue for the last two or three days.

At some points Module Core Services is at 60-70% of the CPU usage and I get typing lags, Chrome slows down etc. The memory usage is also high for Module Core Services. 

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 110

Jump to solution

Hello Jakob

My name is Farhan and I am a Tier 2.5 Technician with McAfee. To look at the issue and collect some logs., I will need a machine in which the issue is seen. Please let me know if you will be willing to allow me to collect necessary logs/details from your machine. 

I will send youa Private Message and we can discuss further.

Regards
Farhan
McAfee Tier 2.5 Technician

asella
Contributor
Message 9 of 110

Jump to solution

Same problem here

Indiejones80
Contributor
Message 10 of 110

Jump to solution

Me too it’s been an issue the last few days 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community