Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Berndt
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

McAfee Livesafe stopped responding and was closed

Hi,

I am using McAfee Livesafe under Windows 10. Recently, I noticed by coincidence that the McAfee Livesafe task bar icon was not present anymore. Before I noticed that, the computer had been running several hours mostly in sleeping mode, with a few exceptions of short internet surfing periods. I tried to turn the computer off and on again to see if McAfee would start again automatically. Unfortunately, the computer hung up when turning it off. I forced a shutdown and turned it on again. McAfee Lifesafe was showing up as usual. 

I did some research and found the following error using the on-board MS security and maintenance: "McAfee Personal Security stopped responding and was closed." with the description "A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows." Further, a path was pointing to the problematic application: "<path>\mcafee-security.exe". This had happened in the afternoon.

I also found another error that had occured later at my shutdown attempt: "Application not working anymore: <path>\splwow64.exe". Don't know if this is important after all.

Since I did not notice the McAfee issue until a couple of hours after it occured, I am worried now that I was without protection by Firewall and Antivirus for these hours. Is this the case and which safety measures should I take now? Everything is up and running again and I scanned the computer several times using different antivirus and maleware detection software. Nothing suspicuous was found.

Any help is deeply appreciated. Thanks!

4 Replies
Rajiv_s1
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee Livesafe stopped responding and was closed

Hello @Berndt ,

We feel sorry for the situation that you are facing, we would like to let you know that McAfee icon will be available on the system tray, there are chances that McAfee might be updating or any services might have been failing, there are multiple factors that has to be considered in order to analyze this. Also based on your comment and the error we understand that personal security has been stopped but it is a dashboard, it doesn't compromise the security of your machine. In order to confirm if it is fine we recommend you to check if the features like firewall and real time scanning are turned by clicking on the gear icon on the McAfee UI. As you have already ran a scan and no threats are detected I'm sure your machine is safe and there is nothing to be worried about the malware. if you still have any concerns or queries, i suggest you to get in touch with our support team by accessing the below link where they can help you with any of your concerns.

Chat support.

Regards,
Rajiv S

Berndt
Level 7
Message 3 of 5

Dear Rajiv,

thanks for your quick reply! It is good to hear that it is only a dashboard. However, looking at the event history of the firewall, I can see that before the error occured and after I discovered it and restarted the system, quite some connection attempts were blocked by the firewall but no event at all was recorded in the time between error and discovery. Could it be that the firewall was not working within this time period or can this also be related to the dashboard crash?

I don't want to overcomplicate things since my systems seems to be OK but this is still strange behaviour.

howtoo
Level 7
Message 4 of 5

It was only a few hours after its release that I noticed the McAfee problem. I’m worried because the firewall and antivirus didn’t convince me of these feelings. Is this the case and what security measures should I take now? Everything goes again, and I checked my computer a few times, with distinctive anti-virus and anti-malware positioning. No suspicions were found. Lots of responsibility for pollution! chat test

KLRahul
Level 7
Message 5 of 5

The same problem happened to me I think my Windows firewall and software both do conflict with each other Is this the case and what security steps should I take now? which help me to outgone this situation.@adhocscount some one can assist me to solve this problem. Thanks in advance

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community