Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pingujohn
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 16

McAfee LiveSafe 2016 On Windows XP Computer

Will McAfee LiveSafe 2016 work on an old PC running Windows XP SP3 fully up to date with Microsoft Update?

Any help and advice would be appreciated

15 Replies

Re: McAfee LiveSafe 2016 On Windows XP Computer

If the installer doesn't balk when it detects the system it might work, but XP SP3 is unsupported as it is no longer covered by Microsoft extended support.

I would say it probably wouldn't be a viable situation as even if you got it installed some portions of the software would be restricted to older versions, such as

the SecurityCenter itself and WebAdvisor (you'd only get SiteAdvisor for as long as that entity exists) and some may not even work. (Depending on what features you choose to install if you opt for the Custom install method).

See the Details tab here: Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and Malware Removal | McAfee

You would also be unable to obtain any support for it from McAfee/Intel  eventually (probably by next year).

If it were me, I'd probably try to install it.   No harm in trying so they say.

I asked around the Moderators and we think it should be OK, but the maximum version of the software you'll get will be SecurityCenter v12.8.   We are up to 14.0.9 at the moment.

The support FAQ on the matter says you can install on XP still so I would give it a try.

This also may be useful if you don't know about it already:  Windows XP rises from the grave: Simple hack gives you five more years of updates | ExtremeTech

I just installed Windows XP Mode in Virtual PC on my Win 7 machine - LiveSafe installed fine...MSC v12.8 and SiteAdvisor 3.7 are the only "About" that are held back by the old system.

catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Thank you for the (Hidden) insight,if you will. I am wondering if individual users will be capable of installing McAfee/2016 with their (Windows /XP/Sp3) OS? I am becoming more and more 'Irritated' with Microsoft's continued progressive effort to (Force) everyone to the latest OS.

Similar to Windows XP/Sp3, they are 'Hell-bent' on forcing individuals to (Upgrade) from Windows 7/Sp1/up to Windows 10.

Just my Honest Opinion.....

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

I am wondering if individual users will be capable of installing McAfee/2016 with their (Windows /XP/Sp3) OS?

I just proved that they can.    I doubt the next iteration in 2017 will though.

catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 16

I meant you were capable of doing so, from your Windows 7/Sp1 OS. Opposed to attempting to from Windows XP/Sp3. I probably misunderstood ...Won't be the first time....

Thanks anyway Mate:)  Not thinking clearly anyhow....

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Doesn't matter about the host machine...the main point was it installed fine in XP SP3.

;)

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Didn't we have this conversation a year or so ago? The consensus was, as I recall, that it *might* work but - and an important but - the chances of some update bricking a non-POS XP machine were too high for comfort. And of course if that were to happen there would be absolutely no sympathy, help, or repair solutions forthcoming online. Although System Restore might enable a rollback, of course.

Still, it's very much a case of On Your Own Head Be It; if anyone is willing to try creating a new registry key that reads

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady] "Installed"=dword:00000001

then good luck to them. I express no approval or disapproval of any such registry modification, not in this particular case, since the number of people who might be adversely affected is really very very small.

Well XP POS is XP Point Of Sale which was issued 8 years after XP's original date, and just before Windows 7 was introduced (it missed Vista almost entirely). 

The jury is out on why that was the case, but anyway the above fix merely tells Microsoft Update that it's that version of XP, hence the extended support.

Microsoft have never given a definite no to such modifications.

In any case, my instance is a VM which is instantly uninstallable.

I just wanted to see if the current suite would still install as the customer asked.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community