cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rog_B
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 15

McAfee Live Safe blocking Microsoft Word from opening files via Google Drive Filestream

Sometime this week, McAfee Live Safe started blocking me from opening Microsoft Word files via the desktop folder that connects me to my Google Drive storage (this used to be called Google Filestream, I believe it is now called Google Drive for Desktop or something like that).  Some info:

I just reinstalled Microsoft Office and that didn't fix anything.

I tried turning off Real Time Scanning and that didn't fix anything.

My version of Live Safe is updated to the latest version as of today.

If I download the files to my desktop, they open in Word and work fine.  But I can't download every file I have to work with and then have to reupload them afterwards.

Note that I'm not attempting to open the Word files in a browser.  I'm using the folder on my desktop that Filestream creates (the one that looks like any other folder I would open from my hard drive).

Everything was working fine through the end of last week, but the problem started at the beginning of this week.  (So I'm guessing something changed in a Live Safe update over the weekend?)

If I can't get this fixed soon, I will need to cancel my McAfee subscription, as this prevents me from doing my job.

14 Replies
Rog_B
Level 7
Message 2 of 15

Re: McAfee Live Safe blocking Microsoft Word from opening files via Google Drive Filestream

Quick update -- I also just tried adding the files I'm trying to open to the 'excluded files' list in the Real-Time Scanning options menu.  That also didn't fix anything.

I know it's a McAfee issue, because every time I try to open one of the Word docs I get a 'We stopped something dangerous' McAfee pop-up notification!

Rog_B
Level 7
Message 3 of 15

Re: McAfee Live Safe blocking Microsoft Word from opening files via Google Drive Filestream

Another quick update:

I tried fixing this by going into the Firewall control panel and editing Word's program permissions.  I changed the access to 'Open to All Devices', but that didn't fix anything.  And I tried turning Net Guard off, but that didn't fix anything.

Kumar_suman
Message 4 of 15

Hi @Rog_B ,

Greetings from Mcafee.
We regret the inconvenience caused.

McAfee is aware of this issue and our engineering team is working on it. We'll update you as we receive more information.
In the meantime, kindly use the Workaround provided in the below article.

Unable to open Word or Excel files on Google Drive Desktop

Regards,
Kumar

MG1
Level 7
Message 5 of 15

Please, also let me know, I need to use my files and I cannot. 

MikeC
Level 8
Message 6 of 15

I also have this problem.  I've wasted quite a bit of time to figure out the problem was with McAfee. I had tried a full disk scan and also re-installed Office, and just happened to find the McAfee problem. I hope this gets fixed soon or I will need to find another anti-virus program.  I need to be able to edit my MS Word documents.   

MikeC
Level 8
Message 7 of 15

Here's an update:

I discovered that I can open MS Word documents on one of my computers with Office 2013.  When I try to open the same Word document on another compute that uses Office 365 Apps for enterprise the document does not open and I get the errors described in this forum.  

Kumar_suman
Message 8 of 15

Hi @MikeC ,

Greetings from McAfee.
Thank you so much for providing valuable update. our Engineering team is still working on this. We'll update you as we receive more information. Your observation on this ongoing issue is much appreciated and will pass the information to our engineering team.
In the meantime, kindly use the Workaround provided in the below article.

Unable to open Word or Excel files on Google Drive Desktop

Regards,
Kumar

MikeC
Level 8
Message 9 of 15

Now I have found that when I want to extract files from a zipped folder to my Google drive, that this works when McAfee Real-Time Scanning is Turned Off.  when Turned On, the files won't extract to my Google Drive.

Brad_O
Level 7
Message 10 of 15

I am seeing this same behavior with a Western Digital My Cloud Home NAS devices.  I can open PDFs, JPGs, and TXT files, but nothing with Office 365 (XLSX, DOC, PPT).

I am able to access the files if I turn off Real-Time Scanning.

I uninstalled and re-installed McAfee and it worked fine, but after 24 hours the behavior started again.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community