cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kiwikiwi
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

LiveSafe VPN Problem - not always connected to the designated VPN Server / Virtual Location

Jump to solution

I have noticed that the LiveSafe VPN would not always stick to the designated VPN server as specified by the "Virtual Location" VPN setting. It appears that the App will just connect to the nearest/fastest location instead. In order to connect to the desired VPN server/virtual location, I have to turn off the VPN and act like changing the VPN virtual location once again and then turn back on the VPN. However, the problem will appear again if I turn off and on the VPN next time. 

As a matter of fact, it is not obvious to notice the problem of connecting to an undesirable VPN server/location because there is no LiveSafe notification nor pop up to tell you the actual serving VPN server/location. I can only check by pulling up the Google Map as well as looking at the information by activating the Ookla Speedtest App.

Environment : LiveSafe  V16.0 Release Name 16.0 R45, same problem for both Win10 PC and Win11 PC.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Re: LiveSafe VPN Problem - not always connected to the designated VPN Server / Virtual Location

Jump to solution

if you are logged in to this community you should see an envelop/mail icon next to your username right upperside of the page.

if you click on this envelop/mail icon you should see the pm messages overthere. 

clicking on the subject line of the pm message does open the message and at end of message there is reply button ect.

sometimes if you don't see this envelop/mail icon a different browser can help like using edge or firefox.

hope this helps.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Hari_durairaj
Message 2 of 9

Re: LiveSafe VPN Problem - not always connected to the designated VPN Server / Virtual Location

Jump to solution

Hi @Kiwikiwi 

Greetings from McAfee.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. I have sent a private message to you, kindly revert with the required details to help you further.

Regards,
Hari

Smita_Kumari
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi @Kiwikiwi  ,

Greetings from McAfee.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. I have sent a private message to you, kindly revert with the required details to help you regarding the issue.

Regards,
Smita

Kiwikiwi
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Dear McAfee  Customer Support Team

Thank you for the private messages. However, I don't see the reply tab in the private messages page nor the private messages themselves so I am not sure how to reply to your private messages in private mode.

Regards

Kiwi

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

if you are logged in to this community you should see an envelop/mail icon next to your username right upperside of the page.

if you click on this envelop/mail icon you should see the pm messages overthere. 

clicking on the subject line of the pm message does open the message and at end of message there is reply button ect.

sometimes if you don't see this envelop/mail icon a different browser can help like using edge or firefox.

hope this helps.

Kiwikiwi
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

Thank you cyberdude!

Kiwikiwi
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

Problem not yet resolved.

Also, I think the McAfee VPN client should indicate/notify the user the actual VPN server/virtual location being established in order to avoid confusion and misrepresentation to the user!

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

Sorry my mistake thought once Cyberdude pointed out the PM envelope that the mod had fixed you up. Maybe he can unsolve the thread. Sorry again

Kiwikiwi
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

Issues : It appears that the McAfee VPN client under LiveSafe does not always stick with the "specified virtual location" when establishing the VPN connection but sometimes just connects to VPN servers in the "nearest" or "fastest" location instead.

User Expectations : 1) When a specific "virtual location" is configured in the VPN client setting, the McAfee VPN client should establish the VPN tunnel terminating at any appropriate VPN servers in the designated "virtual location" ONLY. 2) To avoid confusion and misrepresentation to the VPN user, the McAfee VPN client should alert and expressly notify the users the ACTUAL VPN server location being established.

Device/environment : Both Win10 Desktop PC and Win11 Laptop PC; McAfee VPN Build 18.25.128.1, Version : 18.25; McAfee LiveSafe Version : 16.0, Release Name : 16.0 R45

How to spot the problem :

1) By pulling up the Google Map from the browser - Google Map will tell you where it considers your location is.
2) By connecting to Ookla Speedtest.net - it will try to detect and show your source IP and the serving ISP location then finds a nearby Speedtest server for the test.
3) By connecting to "https://www.mcafee.com/" - it will try to detect your geographic location and then suggest the appropriate web site for you.
4) By using an access location sensitive application - a customer portal which only allows their customers to connect and access their own accounts within the country but not from overseas.

Questions : 

1) Is there fallback mechanism that the McAfee VPN client will just connect to the nearest/fastest VPN server instead of the designated one when the VPN tunnel establishment takes longer than expected when trying to establish the tunnel to a far away server location? 

2) Why would the McAfee VPN client consider that it is legitimate to connect to another VPN location rather than the one specified without the user's consent?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community