cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_4474
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

LiveSafe Mac install keeps prompting to remove old version of McAfee

Have been having issues with the LiveSafe "re-install" on Mac running High Sierra.  After numerous issues with the original install I used the uninstall app to uninstall McAfee LiveSafe.  If I then attempt to re-install it still detects an old version and continually pop's up with the "Remove Old" version button.  Window flashes when I click "Remove Old" to uninstall and basically can't get past the remove old.  Is there any way to manually remove the old version if there are lingering files left?  Basically unable to re-install at this point.  Trying too re-install LiveSafe 4.1.2 (todays latest version).

Could any of these be the culprit?

% find . -name *McAfee*

./usr/local/McAfee

./usr/local/McAfee/WebProtection/bin/com.mcafee.McAfeeSafariHost.plist

./Library/Documentation/Help/McAfeeSecurity_WebControl.help

./Library/Documentation/Help/McAfeeSecurity_WebControl.help/Contents/Resources/de.lproj/static/McAfee_logo_200x50.png

./Library/Documentation/Help/McAfeeSecurity_WebControl.help/Contents/Resources/zh-Hans.lproj/static/McAfee_logo_200x50.png

./Library/Documentation/Help/McAfeeSecurity_WebControl.help/Contents/Resources/ja.lproj/static/McAfee_logo_200x50.png

./Library/Documentation/Help/McAfeeSecurity_WebControl.help/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/static/McAfee_logo_200x50.png

./Library/Documentation/Help/McAfeeSecurity_WebControl.help/Contents/Resources/es.lproj/static/McAfee_logo_200x50.png

./Library/Documentation/Help/McAfeeSecurity_WebControl.help/Contents/Resources/fr.lproj/static/McAfee_logo_200x50.png

./Library/StagedExtensions/usr/local/McAfee

./Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Application Support/McAfee

./private/var/log/McAfeeInternetSecurity.log

./private/var/log/McAfeeInternetSecurity.log.0

./private/var/folders/jl/rn_r2xkx4637m6hrm3m8d7lc0000gn/C/com.McAfee.McAfeeSafariHost.McAfeeSafariWCExt

./Users/xxx/Software Downloads/McAfeeReceipt.pdf

./Users/xxx/Library/Application Scripts/com.McAfee.McAfeeSafariHost.McAfeeSafariWCExt

./Users/xxx/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/Documents/McAfee2013SerialNumber.pdf

./Users/xxx/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/Documents/McAfee2013Purchase.pdf

./Users/xxx/Library/Containers/com.McAfee.McAfeeSafariHost.McAfeeSafariWCExt

./Users/xxx/Library/Containers/com.McAfee.McAfeeSafariHost.McAfeeSafariWCExt/Data/Library/Application Scripts/com.McAfee.McAfeeSafariHost.McAfeeSafariWCExt

./Users/xxx/Library/Caches/com.mcafee.McAfeeReporter

4 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: LiveSafe Mac install keeps prompting to remove old version of McAfee

I have asked a Tier 2.5 to assist you and add to the discussion.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Karthik_K
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 5

Hi ​,

Please check the location below for McAfee traces to remove and then try the installation after deleted them from Trash too:

/Library/Application Support

/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/Preferencepanes

/Library/Preferences

/usr/local/

Regards,

Karthik K

Bart3293
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

I have the same issue, but now it is 2023, October.  Installation keeps failing on the compatibility check of the old version.  Support chat keeps saying "this is new, we are fixing it".   But obviously it is an old issue.  

hoagysrva
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

I am having the same issue too.  Its November 13, 2023. I going to try steps recommended by other users who had problem before and will update everyone if successful.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community