cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kelsoguy
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Does LiveSafe implement full DeepSafe technology, including VTx port virtualization on Intel Core i3,5,7 cpu's ?

Jump to solution

Does LiveSafe implement full DeepSafe technology, including VTx port virtualization on Intel Core i3,5,7 cpu's ?

"Full  DeepSafe technology" means equal protection to Deep Defender (enterprise edition).

If so, is there a specification sheet for LiveSafe which verifies this ?

If not, what is missing and when will McAfee issue a consumer PC antivirus implementing full DeepSafe ?

Please read the two attached PDF files for reference.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 7

Re: Does LiveSafe implement full DeepSafe technology, including VTx port virtualization on Intel Core i3,5,7 cpu's ?

Jump to solution

hi Kelsoguy,

Sorry about the delay, I had to talk to several people to get what I thought would be the most helpful info for you.

As of right now, LiveSafe does NOT use the hardware virtualization. There is discussion of this being added to the product offering, but I have no timeframe for when that might happen (except that I know it won't be in 2013).

LiveSafe uses the Anti-Theft Technology Intel builds into the chips, and the Personal Locker module uses full biometrics (which is why you have to have the mic and camera to fully realize it).

I was unable to find any sort of product comparison between LiveSafe and Deep Defender as LiveSafe is a product for home computers, and Deep Defender is an enterprise/government product. I will say that Deep Defender is not sold as a single-node product, the smallest license we sell for this product is 11 seats, so that might not be the best option. Regardless, the number to call to speak with someone in pre-sales is 888-847-8766.

Is there anything else I can help with? If not, take care and have a great week.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Re: Does LiveSafe implement full DeepSafe technology, including VTx port virtualization on Intel Core i3,5,7 cpu's ?

Jump to solution

Moved this to the LiveSafe community for better support.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Hey Kelsoguy,

I just wanted to let you know I'm researching this for you. I thought I'd gotten the answer, but it didn't have the level of detail you were seeking, so I'll go back to engineering and try to clear it up.

I can tell you that now, at this time, LiveSafe and Deep Defender aren't the same, and don't work the same way, but there is resesarch being done to bring them more in-line. I don't have a hard timeframe, but it wouldn't be in 2013. I'd like to get you a much more technical answer if possible, so please be patient with me. My apologies for the delay!

kelsoguy
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for forwarding my question to McAfee's engineers.

Today, I purchased a Dell Inspiron 660s i660s-2312BK Desktop, which has an Intel Core i3 series processor, and it comes with LiveSafe pre-installed.

My understanding of DeepSafe technology is that it is uniquely superior to other anti-viruses because it enables the software to access a special hardware port built into the Intel Core i3 CPU, allowing the anti-virus to seize control of the CPU away from a rootkit or other low-level malware.  Intel calls this hardware port "VTx" which stands for hardware virtualization.  While I do not know or understand the details, the concept is very convincing to me.

If LiveSafe actually does implement DeepSafe technology using the Vtx port, or plan to do so soon, I will definitely subscribe to LiveSafe, a trial version  of which will be pre-installed on my new computer's hard drive.  Good luck in getting me that information.

If LiveSafe does not fully implement DeepSafe, my next question will be how can I get a break on purchasing Deep Defender for home use.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

hi Kelsoguy,

Sorry about the delay, I had to talk to several people to get what I thought would be the most helpful info for you.

As of right now, LiveSafe does NOT use the hardware virtualization. There is discussion of this being added to the product offering, but I have no timeframe for when that might happen (except that I know it won't be in 2013).

LiveSafe uses the Anti-Theft Technology Intel builds into the chips, and the Personal Locker module uses full biometrics (which is why you have to have the mic and camera to fully realize it).

I was unable to find any sort of product comparison between LiveSafe and Deep Defender as LiveSafe is a product for home computers, and Deep Defender is an enterprise/government product. I will say that Deep Defender is not sold as a single-node product, the smallest license we sell for this product is 11 seats, so that might not be the best option. Regardless, the number to call to speak with someone in pre-sales is 888-847-8766.

Is there anything else I can help with? If not, take care and have a great week.

kelsoguy
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Please make me a beta test site for a consumer version of Deep Defender, or sell me a 2-cpu license.

Jump to solution

Please tell the McAfee engineers that I am extremely disappointed that LiveSafe does not implement full DeepSafe technology, including hardware virtualization.  I purchased a new PC and a 1 year LiveSafe license because the LiveSafe specifications imply that it fully exploits the capabilities of the Intel Core i3,5,7 cpu's. 

Please tell McAfee that I will be a satisfied customer if they can give me a good deal on a 2-cpu license for Deep Defender.  I am willing to function as a beta testing site for them to try out ideas for a consumer version of Deep Defender.   I have a master's degree in electrical engineering myself from Cal Tech, and I worked at Bell Labs for 6 years.  Even though I am not active in EE anymore, I am not a bad beta site to test a new consumer product !

McAfee has a dynamite product in Deep Defender, and it is a waste not to sell it to the consumer market. 

Message was edited by: kelsoguy on 9/23/13 3:28:29 PM CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 7

Re: Please make me a beta test site for a consumer version of Deep Defender, or sell me a 2-cpu license.

Jump to solution

I will certainly pass on the feedback! And like I said, there is discussion of expanding the LiveSafe offering to include DeepSafe technology in the future, but until that gets out of a planning stage I wouldn't have any idea of dates.

As I'm on the home user side, I can't help with any Enterprise product purchasing, so I'd recommend just calling the number and seeing what the options are. I called the same number myself to find out information, that's where I got the 11 seat information.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community