cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mctaylor
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

scam email or legit?

I just got a new computer and McAfee came with it.  Immediately after I set the computer up I got an email stating my "Info was stolen"  and to click to "show me"  Is this real or a scam?  How can I tell.  Thank you

3 Replies
Hari_durairaj
Message 2 of 4

Re: scam email or legit?

Hi @mctaylor 

Greetings from McAfee.

We would like to let you know that McAfee is an ant-virus software helps to detect and remove viruses on the computer. When it comes to breaches McAfee helps to monitor your personal information in the dark web to alert you pro-actively before intruders misuse your personal data. If you have received an alert from the McAfee about breach. Please ensure which email address got breached under which website and change the password of your account.

For more information, kindly refer our below article.

Personally Identifiable Information (PII) monitored in McAfee Identity Monitoring

How to fix identity breaches

FAQ's for McAfee Identity Protection service 

Alternatively, you can always contact chat support using the link below for immediate assistance or call our helpline number 24/7 (866-622-3911) US.

McAfee Support

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

Regards,
Hari Durairaj

mctaylor
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Yes, I saw this information.  But, I wanted to know if this is a real email from you?  I wasn't comfortable clicking on the link to find out more because it seemed like it could be fake.  That is what I would like to know.  Did you send this email?

The return address is   info @notification.macfee.

Please let me know if this is really from you and if I should click on the link.

Thank you

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

hello,

following service doc has a list of legimate email adresses from mcafee you can check:

McAfee KB - You get fake emails from scammers posing as McAfee (TS103285)

it looks like your emailadress is legit and is mentioned in the above article.

hope this helps

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community