cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmelitus
Contributor
Message 1 of 33

XP and online backup service

I have read back through articles, questions and statements dated 2010.  No answers found.

My OS is Windows XP, the Online Backup installed, however it won't go through the setup process.  The pop up box keeps telling me I have no internet connection.  The second pc I installed this on worked well, it has Windows 7.

If I can't get it to work, can someone at least tell me how to uninstall just the online backup?  The info bubble is driving me nuts!

Thanks.

32 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 33

Re: XP and online backup service

You are probably best advised to contact Technical Support about this issue as they can troubleshoot it directly.  It's free by phone or online chat and available through Useful Links at the top of this page.

However, from your last image above I see a red 'x' appearing on your Network icon by the clock, indicating that you do indeed have no connection.  But I also see a wireless symbol.

You may have to go into Windows Network and/or your Device Manager and disable the network that you aren't using as it may be confusing the software.   But that's just a theory.

How do you connect to the Internet and is it always on?

Also is this XP SP3 and fully updated?

Plus, as McAfee software utilizes Internet Explorer regardless of your default browser settings, is IE8 installed?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/04/13 12:28:35 EDT PM
orange_hippo
Contributor
Message 3 of 33

I have exactly the same problem.

My laptops OS is WinXP SP3 which is fully updated.  My browser is IE8 (en-gb).  My internet connection is alive and kicking.

I downloaded a brand new copy of McAfee Internet Security 2013 (3 user) two days ago which went smoothly with no errors.

This bundle included Online Backup (which I did not ask for or require) and I have now had to endure 48 hours of a madly blinking icon telling me to 'Configure McAfee Online Backup Service'.  When I tried to comply two days ago, yesterday and today I get the above error message.

Yesterday I installed McAfee Virtual Technician which supposedly found and fixed 3 errors (question: why would a new install have 3 errors?).  After the advised reboot I ran the Virtual Technician again which then said everything was fine.

Except it isn't as I'm still getting the same internet connection error mesage.

I have tried in vain to find something within MIS2013 or My Account settings to switch this application off.  It is not shown in the Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs list as a separate entity so I can't uninstall it from there.

Until I have a solution I won't be using my other 2 user licences.

Please help - I just want the blinking to go away - it is driving me mad !!

Thank you in advance.

Lisa

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 33

The OP has Online Backup but couldn't make it connect so your situation isn't quite the same as you say you don't want it.

Open SecurityCentre click Data Protection and Backup

Under that header does it say that Online Backup is available or already installed?

During the original installation there should have been an option to do a custom installation omitting anything your didn't want.

You may have to uninstall via Control Panel, then run the MCPR cleanup utility listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and then reinstall from your online account using the custom feature omitting Online Backup.

You could also get free Technical Support by phone or online chat also through Useful Links above.

BTW Virtual Technician's data servers are on the blink at the moment making it's results erratic at times.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/04/13 12:50:04 EDT PM
orange_hippo
Contributor
Message 5 of 33

Thanks for the suggestions Ex_Brit.

I uninstalled MVT and MIS2013, ran MCPR, and then custom reinstalled MIS2013 omitting Online Backup.

No more blinking, and my sanity has returned. Phew!

But to answer your questions ...

Yes for the original install I chose "Complete (Recommended)" over "Custom" but in my (weak) defence I am new to McAfee and there was nothing to indicate Online Backup was going to be included, it was not mentioned at all on the packaging or in the invisible/non-existent manual.  Besides I figured I'd install everything and switch off the bits I didn't want to use.  And if I was able to configure it correctly I would have kept it.

So yes it *was* already installed (Pic1) but now it has been removed (Pic2).

Pic1.JPGPic2.JPG

Now as I wasn't expecting to get it I am not all that bothered that Online Backup isn't working.  But if I did want to install it in the future the original problem remains - I can't configure it as apparently it thinks I have no internet connection when clearly I do.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks again for your time Ex_Brit, you appear to be more useful than the Virtual Technician!!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 33

Glad it's sorted out, mostly at least.   Should you decide to use it and remember it only gives you a limited amount of onlne storage anyway, unless you want to pay for more, and you install it and get the same connectivity errors, you'd have to then contact Technical Support and have them excalate the case upwards if necessary.

wimike
Former Member
Message 7 of 33

I have the EXACT problem the two above me have.  I have WIN XP and only need limited storage. I had this feature from the beginning when they first offered it.  I deleted the old software and installed it over because my firewall kept shutting off. That problem went away and now this problem as it keeps telling me it can't register back up because I have no internet connection which is obviously not true.  Please help.  Why doesn't Mcafee fix this?  UI spent 1 solid hour on line and the tech said he would escalate it as I could see he only knew some simple things.  This is where rhey lost me as I could no longer type in the box I was still there, Really poor system.  Second time I have tried on line support 2nd time it failed miserably.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 33

Well all I can do is alert a tier 2 technician to come into this thread and help you, I can't guarantee an immediate response but I will try.   Technical Support is the best place to get it fixed and simply asking for escalation should get you the same people exactly.

Would you like me to ask anyway?

wimike
Former Member
Message 9 of 33

Spent an  hour with the 1st level last night and it's obvious they knew less than I did.  I lost all abllity at the end to type in the box and he asked me if I wanted this problem elevated. After spending 1 hr on the internet of course I did but was unable to respond so the session was closed. 

I then deleted the software and installed it in the custom mode and did not install the back up module.  I have the same problem of two PC's that use WIN XP. 

I won't go back to their internet support as I won't waste another hour.  Yes bring a high level tech into this if the problem ever wants to get solved.  Thanks, Mike

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 33

OK, I've emailed my contact.   Not sure how long it will be though before they respond.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community