cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uwe-dembski
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

What is the actual version of Online-Backup in McAfee Total Protection?

Jump to solution

I am using McAfee Total protection with security center version 12.8 with build 12.8.903 on windows 8.1 professionell.

Mcafee shows Online-Backup 1.16.4.0.

What is the current version? Every now and than there is a window opening telling me to update ot new version 1.16.6.1. But the update is always failing.

What is the current version of Mozy McAfee Online backup (standard version with 2 GB storage)and where can I download it manually? After downloading

it manually can it be installed over the existing version or has it to be deinstalled first?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
uwe-dembski
Former Member
Message 11 of 12

Re: What is the actual version of Online-Backup in McAfee Total Protection?

Jump to solution

Problem is resolved.

After 4 Tier 2 support sessions the problem is gone. Tech support deinstalled MOBK and deletet registry entries. Later a new version of MOBK could be installed. But it couldnot be reached from Security Center any longer, the entry for Online-Backup was no longer

there.

I made the decision to  deinstal McAfee completely using the removal tool and installed it again. The MOBK tool is now the old version and everythink is working fine. No attempts to update after executing the backup. No file under programdata trying to update it any longer.

Case can be closed.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

Jump to solution

Best either run Virtual Technician to check for problems http://mvt.mcafee.com/ or get in touch with Technical Support by phone or online chat, it's free and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

I'm not using OB so have no iidea what the current version should be.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi uwe-dembski,

You may need to uninstall and re-install McAfee Total Protection to have the latest version of Online Back up. Make sure you configure using the same license key upon Re-install.

After successful Installation of Total Protection Open Home UI > Data Protection and Back up > Set Up Online Backup > Use the same license key as before. 

setup mobk.jpg

Try backing up a small file and post back the version info of MOBK

uwe-dembski
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

Jump to solution

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I installed total protection on 17.1.2014 and this is a new pc, no other security suite, no registry cleaners anyway.

My installed version of MOBK is 1.16.4.0, backup is runing fine, no problems. It is just there was the hint to update, but is was  not working. So I am a litte upset...

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

As Selvan said, if you want to be sure you have the latest version you may have to uninstall/reinstall the way he suggested.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi Selvan,

If you recall, I recently did a Clean/uninstall/reinstall to try and retrieve the MSC (12.8.903) Build on

12/8/2013. However at that time I still only ended up with the ( 12.8.856) Version of MSC. Having said this, I have since indeed been "Auto-Updated" to the (903) Build as well as the (718) Build of my Personal Firewall Plus.

.  Now am awaiting to be Updated to the MSC (908) Build.

Now I might add, I chose the (Complete Installation) opposed to the (Custom).

Which now leads me to the very reason for creating this thread. I like Ex_Brit do not utilize the MOB,or the McAfee File Lock. My latest versions being:

MOB- 4.8.735

MFL- 3.8.713   

By electing to download the (Complete) installation I realize that I will be recieving (all) of the feature

offered by McAfee Total Protection, even though certain features as mentioned here-in I do not use. My

question being is, Even though the said features are installed, yet I have not (activated) either.

In the future, should I choose the (Custom) installation instead. And by doing so would this affect

the functioning of any of my features that I indeed do use? For even though I have these installed and not activated, my machine is functioning properly.

When I open Services.Msc, or Task manager I indeed do see the mentioned services (MOB,MFL)

running. To me it would seem that I would reduce CPU, machine resources by not installing both features.

Not that I have a (High CPU) usage by having them both installed as is. As a Matter of fact, I never have to be quite honest.

And while I am at it, the primary reason I inquired about (Changing) my setting for "Intrusion Protection" from (Basic) to (High). Was if my memory is correct, this feature was being cautiously offered

to consumers when it was already a basic feature in Enterprise.

There was a concern back in Version (11.6) when selecting the (High) setting...it caused issues on certain systems, but not all. I guess it is safe to assume that all bugs have been worked out? When choosing the "More Agressive" detection setting.

I apologise if I may have thrown so many questions at once. For both you and our Moderators

are hardpressed solving any issues that other members of the Community (Forum) may present.

Thank you in advance,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
uwe-dembski
Former Member
Message 7 of 12

Jump to solution

I have now reinstalled the software, using the removal tool also.

There is no change.

The window of OnlineBackup is showing the version 1,16,4,0. In Security Center the version is mentioned with 4.8, build 4.8.735.

Doing a online-Backup, MOBK is asking to install the update to 1,16,6,1. But it is not possible, the version in MOBK is not changing to that version. No warnings.

In the folger ProgramData you can find a download named "TempMOBK-update-4ec82966293498cc5bd9350557ef54e8.exe". Runing it as admin brings no result. Attention:

Do not unpack this file and run the "MOBK-x64.msi" file. The installation of MOBK is runing. But you are not able to use MOBK anymore.

This program is from Deco no longer from Mozy. Trying to run the MOBK you are told a DLL is missing and the programm is not able to start any longer.

Coud it be that the workaround concerning the mfeapfk-problem is harming MOBK??????????????????????????

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

Selvan is the only one who can answer that.

pensinck
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I'm using the standalone version of MOBK and that was, until last week also 1.16.4.0, last weeks I was having several issues with the backup, sometimes it was giving the error code 3, wrong version of the software, other times it was working, once I got a request to upgrade, but that did not work,  until last weekend I got a filtererror0 within a minute constantly and it stopped.

I could not find that back in the FAQ or KB and raised a support request, as reinstalling the software just did not work, MVT did not find any errors anymore.

I raised a support request to McAfee and within a day I had a mail with a solution, and this one works very smooth and it shows version 2.18.1.235.

Suggest you to raise a request too.

Kind regards

Pascal

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi uwe-dembski,

I would suggest you call Tech Support and have this reported because Support has Uninstallers for MOBK alone and will install the latest 2.18.xx (If compatible) standalone MOBK installer.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community