cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dank
Former Member
Message 11 of 22

Re: Unable to access vault in McAfee File Lock

Encountering the same 'Invalid Vault Header' error when attempting to import a vault created in the previous McAfee Anti-theft File Lock version.  Have several vaults created with McAfee Anti-theft, including several backups of same files, and importing all vaults encounter same 'Invalid Vault Header' error.   Am at risk of losing TBs of data.  Has McAfee developed a fix for this application bug?

Peacekeeper
Message 12 of 22

Really best to call support and if initial level support unable to assist ask them to escalate the call to a higher level. We mods do not use file lock so we cannot assist much.

Also will ask during our call tomorrow to the support techs.

Also what version of file lock is this?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 17/04/13 6:26:18 AM
lpz999
Former Member
Message 13 of 22

Hi Dank,

You say that you have several backups of same files. Where are you put the backup files? If those backup files are still exists, you can recover them through importing method.

Import.png

Click Browse button and select you back upped vault file and then click Import button. 

Let me know if this helps.

vaultissue
Former Member
Message 14 of 22

My problem hasn't been solve yet and it has been probably 3 months since I reported it. Timeline below:

• First two weeks (late January): IT person remotely accessed my computer (video recorded) and tried many ways to open my vault file, either by importanting it, renaming it, copying it, etc etc...and the same 'Invalid Vault Header' error kept showing so no success.
  • Next two weeks (early February): New IT person supposely higher level than the one before called and remotely access my computer (video recorded) and tried again many ways to open my vault file but no success... he requested permission to extract data from my computer regarding my McAffee program which I agreed and said we'll analyze it and get back to you. I asked 'how long?' he said 'weeks'
  • Early March: I called and asked for an update and their response was 'we are still working on it'
  • Late March: I called again and asked for an update and their response was 'we are still working on it'...yes they said 'still'
  • Last week (April 12th):  Someone from McAfee called to ask if my problem was solve... I had nothing to say but laugh and politely asked to PLEASE give me an update because nothing has been solve. She said she will contact a higher level IT person to call me.
  • Today (April 19th): I was finally able to talk to someone from McAfee on the phone and he offered me two options:
    • Option 1: Share my vault file with them so they can open it, implying I have to send it to them without me able to see what are they doing, no remote access but just have hope they will be able to crack it and send me back the documents inside.
    • Option 2: Wait for another few weeks until their technicians can figure a way to fix the bug and come back to me to remotely access my computer and try again.

I'm beyond frustration here because I have important records from my bank accounts, tax paperwork, work portfolio, data spreadsheets, research for my thesis. I have manage to still move forward by calling my bank, going over physical files that I have printed, going over my notes, etc etc BUT I still need my files!!

Can someone please provide some advise? What guarantee do I have after sharing my files with who know who won't access my documents? What guarantee do I have that I will ever open my files? Do I need to hire a special technician myself to get this done?

I obviously chose not send my vault file to McAfee and decided to wait AGAIN. My case number 1016315541.

Thank you

Peacekeeper
Message 15 of 22

I will ping support myself and see what they say.

dank
Former Member
Message 16 of 22

I spent several hours with tech support over several days.  All they wanted to do is access my computer remotely. When I asked for technical reason to remotely connect (what they plan to do), they could not provide any explanation.  After several tech support persons, I was asked to provide a copy my files for engineering support.  Hmm, share my encrypted file? If I did not care whether my files were seen then I would not have encrypted them!!!

This 'Invalid Vault Header' issue has been known for several months, yet McAfee has not provided any solution; as well tech support knowledge of the issue was severely lacking.

I even took steps to 'Executive Escalate' my SR issue with no response from the executives.

I am rethinking my trust and continued use of McAfee products!!!   And so will my customers!!!

vaultissue
Former Member
Message 17 of 22

June 4, 2013

I hadn't got any solution so far. This is beyond frustration not to mention that this might be the worst customer service I have ever experience and seen. What do I need to do to get this solve since none from McAfee is willing to do something.

How much does it cost to get this solved? WHO DO I NEED TO TALK TO?!

Peacekeeper
Message 18 of 22

Escalated this as high as it can go re the support area.

Will see if I can get a high level tech here.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 5/06/13 3:32:23 PM
vaultissue
Former Member
Message 19 of 22

Thank you Peacekeeper,

Last time I talked to someone (Monday, May 20th) from McAfee Tier 2.5 Team by phone telling me they will take care of my problem but they will schedule a time to do it. Later I received an email (Sunday, May 26th) saying they called me that day and the email listed a wrong phone number so I replied back saying they got the wrong phone number and to please to try again with the number I wrote back.

I have already agreed to share my vault file which is 10 GB in size although the content inside of it might be 4 GB total (I have a lot of PDFs, AI files, CAD files, Excel files, Renders in PSD, TIF & JPG formats from my portfolio)  they said the file will be storage in their server and the technicias will open it safely and send me the internal content as soon as possible. I asked if I could get more information to guarantee that everything will be secured and I will be able to recover my files, but the answer I recevied wasn't like YES WE WILL GET THIS DONE, instead I got something more like I'M NOT SURE

Can someone in here can walk me through or explain the procedures of how McAfee technicias handle a case like this? This is highly impersonal and unprofessional for various reasons:

1. Lack of credentials or information from the technician accessing my computer, I have no clue who the person might be.
  2. Lack of communication, no emails telling me the procedure or status of my case, I have no clue what was taken from my computer either.
  3. Lack of support, to this point none have been able to explain what is the issue after supposely analyzing my computer logs, files, etc
  4. Poor customer service, I have to come to a forum to get help because if I call none knows what to do and I'm told they will call me back (days later)
  5. Poor management, is there even a manager I can talk to?

Again, I'm beyond frustration and dissapointment. I just want to be able to have access to my files which are highly important for my career and future. I have been a long time user of McAfee products since I bought my first lap top when I started college 10 years ago and NEVER had problems with your software.

I'm asking for help and a solution, my case number 484570-1016315541.

Thank you

PS. Someone just emailed me right now (Wednesday, June 5th) apologizing for the delay and telling me that the research still underway... I guess I'm still waiting.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 20 of 22

Hi there Am Selvan from McAfee Research Team, I was one whom sent you the last Email.

>  Coming directly to the point  we need to examine the structure of the corrupt vault by comparing it with an empty vault of the same size.

>  You've mentioned in the email that your vault content size is around 4 Gigabytes.

>  we need time to upload your vault to our servers and then do the evaluation of the vault structure.

>  Once we are able to repair the structure of corrupt vault we'll require your password to unlock the same.

>  Myself or any other technician from my team will be calling you tomorrow june 6 thursday.

>  Once the Vault is transferred we'll begin repair and get you informed once its done. We highly appreciate your patience !

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community