cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TJB
Contributor III
Message 1 of 20

Online Backup stalls Communicating with McAfee Online Backup servers...

Following a considerable period of successful use, since 26/10/2012 I am encountering the same problem on 2 machines:

Lenovo T42 running Windows XP Pro 32-bit SP3 with McAfee Internet Security including the limited version of Online Backup

Lenovo W510 running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit SP1 with McAfee Internet Security and the unlimited version of Online Backup v1.16.6.1

The first time the problem occurred (on the W510), the data for the backup was all prepared on the machine but no data was transmitted (over a period of hours).

Since then, and on both machines, whether initiated automatically or manually, Online Backup stalls with the message:

"Backup in progress...

Communicating with McAfee Online Backup servers..."

Again, the machines can be left for hours, with no applications active, and the backup operation remains stalled at this point.

Because the issue commenced on the same day on 2 different machines, I am tempted to assume that the problem may be somewhere other than on my machines.  Is this a known issue and what is the resolution?

19 Replies
tenx
Former Member
Message 2 of 20

Re: Online Backup stalls Communicating with McAfee Online Backup servers...

Same issue here TJB. Doesnt look like you got many replies. This is such an unsatisfactory application.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 20

Hi TJB, tenx Sorry that you're having trouble backing up your files. Could you let me know the version of Online backup client that your'e using the latest one is 2.18. This is to ensure that you aren't using an outdated version of client software. Regards

tenx
Former Member
Message 4 of 20

Thanks for the info on the version, I have 1.16.40. I'm surprised it doesn't update automatically. The McAfee virus software does. So I went to download a fresh copy. When I logged on to my account with McAfee it wasn't obvious as to what subscriptions I have, including Online backup....there was only one download link...I think I'm now installing a fresh version of my virus software (2 hrs or so on ADSL2!) , this is not what I wanted!

Fairly representative of all things McAfee these days. They use to be easy to deal with - now I find interacting with them arduous, confusing and unproductive. Waiting for my subscriptions to expire and I'm moving on...shame; it has been something like a 10 year relationship...

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 20

Hi tenx you could get the latest version of McAfee online backup client from here. There is no need of Uninstalling / Reinstalling the entire product. Just remove McAfee online backup from Control Panel,Reboot and Reinstall from the above file. Keep posted if you need further assistance!

tenx
Former Member
Message 6 of 20

Thanks Chinthanai Selvan P That link worked fine and it is doing its first backup. I'll be interested to see what improvements have been made...especially speed. I still think it should be obvious from my account page what subs I have and links to the latest versions.

TJB
Contributor III
Message 7 of 20

Nice to see that someone has finally taken an interest.

As indicated in my original post, I'm running Online Backup v1.16.6.1

I'm astounded and appalled that the software does not update automatically or at least advise when a new version is available.

I assume that if I uninstall and then download and install the latest version I will lose all my settings and preferences and that the software will also start a back-up operation from zero, which is likely to take many hours at least.  Is there any way of preserving settings, preferences and the existing back-up when upgrading?

kenisaacson
Former Member
Message 8 of 20

I'm confused. You say that the current version of MOBK is 2.18??? I've been running v1.16.4.0. Having seen you say that the current ver is 2.18, I uninstalled MOBK, rebooted, and then downloaded MOBK again from my account page on McA. I'm back again with 1.16.4.0. The only difference is my configuration and history are gone.

How do I get the update version?

Thanks.

Ken

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 20

Hi kenisaacson you can find the link for downloading the new version (2.18) of MOBK client in my previous post. You can re-configure MOBK after installing the latest client software. Make sure you visit login.backup.mcafee.com and check for the history of previously backedup files.

kenisaacson
Former Member
Message 10 of 20

Sorry, Selvan. Didn't see the link before. Thanks.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community