cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JWL
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Online Backup not starting automatically

I use McAfee Total Protection (security centre v10.5 build 10.5.195 last update 19.09.2010) and with that Online Backup v2.5 build 2.5.119 (am fortunate, only do a little backup of the most important work and found the automatic backup most useful when it ran automatically).

Whenever I booted up it automatically appeared on my taskbar next to the McAfee icon.

Since having to reinstall to sort another issue it no longer automatically "loads" and the little icon doesn't appear, nor does the scheduled backup occur automatically (as it used to).

I now have to do it manually (which defeats my use of it):-

open Security centre, go to Data protection and backup (which says it is installed) , click on Online Backup and then the little icon appears on the taskbar.

What do I have to do to make it all appear and work normally as it used to (would really like to avoid having to uninstall and then reinstall again).

Thank you.

7 Replies
JWL
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Online Backup not starting automatically

Thank you.

It does not appear, at all, under the Startup tab;

have only

- McAfee Security Centre

- mcpvtray

It does appear on the Services tab and is selected (12 McAfee related ones)

How do I make it appear on the Startup tab?

(Sorry, a very basic question and I presume I am supposed to know better)

Your time and assistance is much appreciated.

JWL
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I'm sorry, but maybe I am in the wrong place as the only columns I have are on the services tab are

- selection box: which is selected (ticked)

- Service: which is McAfee Online Backup

- Manufacturer: McAfee, Inc.

- Date disabled: Blank

To get there from the start menu

Run

typed in msconfig [enter]

clicked on the services tab.

Am I in the correct place?

JWL
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

oopsie, sorry!

Okay, got to the correct place - but it was already automatic and I did not have to change it.

And on my taskbar I have it selected to show icon and notifications - but it still isn't.

So now ... I am so sorry for being such a shupa (problem)!?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 8

JWL that user has been banned for competitive advertising and misstatements in his signature.  I think at this stage you should contact Technical Support Chat via Useful Links above.

JWL
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

A restart did not bring up the little icon on the taskbar, it is still automatic in the services and not appearing at all in the msconfig - startup tab.

I still have to open McAfee - Data Protection and Backup - and then click on Online backup to get the icon to appear.

Sorry ...

JWL
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

oops, ouch, okay.

Thank you very much.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Good luck.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community