cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenisaacson
Former Member
Message 1 of 18

Newest version of MOBK causing screen flash every minute?

Before I go much further into troubleshooting, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Until two days ago, I was running MOBK v1.16.40, with no problems. On Monday, I downloaded the latest version, v2.18.1.235, and after the 1st backup noticed something peculiar. Every 63 seconds (yes, not each minute, but 63 seconds), my screen would flash blue for an instant. Like clockwork. Depending on what Windows app was on the screen at the time, the app window might close and not re-open until I re-opened it myself.

On uninstalling MOBK v2.18.1.235 and reverting to v1.16.40, the screen flash stopped.

I've tried this twice: Completely uninstalling all McA apps (I run Total Protection), running the removal tool, reinstalling. Same result.

Has this happened to anyone else???

Thanks.

Ken

17 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 18

Re: Newest version of MOBK causing screen flash every minute?

Well that is a mystery and one that only Technical Support could troubleshoot I fear.   They're free to phone or you can use the online chat, link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Unless, of course, someone who has experienced the same thing, spots this and can offer suggestions.

All I can think of, is everything on your machine up to date, drivers, Windows Updates, graphics etc.??

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 18

I see you flagged Selvan...he's pretty good and hopefully will help here eventually.

kenisaacson
Former Member
Message 4 of 18

Peter,

Yeah, the first thing I thought of was the drivers. All up to date. And I ran a Dell diagnostic that reported no problems with the video. What's really strange is the period: 63 seconds.

Let's see what Selvan thinks.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 18

Also check to see if any Dell software may possibly be clashing.....I ditched all their software from any Dell/Alienware machine I ever owned for that very reason.

Selvan will know.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 18

Hi kenisaacson  I would suggest you install all windows updates and upgrade Internet explorer to the latest version. You can also run McAfee Virtual Technician from mvt.mcafee.com and post me the issues you got (if any). This will help moving forward in this case.

kenisaacson
Former Member
Message 7 of 18

Selvan,

Everything was current as of Monday, when I experienced the problem. A ton of Windows updates were just released yesterday, and I installed them now. I like to wait a day or so after installing updates to make sure the updates themselves don't cause any problems, before tweaking anything else. So In a few days, I'll try the MOBK update again and report back.

FWIW, I had run MVT on Monday, and no problems were reported.

Thanks.

Ken

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 18

Hi kenisaacson hope you're doing good. I'd like to know if you're still facing that screen flash issue after installing latest windows updates. Also let me know if you are able to backup data successfully using the latest MOBK client..!

kenisaacson
Former Member
Message 9 of 18

Selvan,

Thanks for checking back with me. I haven't had a chance yet to re-insall MOBK, and am doing that this morning. I'll let you know how things go.

Ken

kenisaacson
Former Member
Message 10 of 18

Selvan,

I downloaded the latest version of MOBK again (ver 2.18) from the link you provided in another thread, and immediately upon installation and reboot, the screen began flashing as I'd experienced before. Immediately after uninstalling MOBK and rebooting, the flashing stopped. (And, FWIW, I'd already installed all available updates from Windows Update.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ken

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community