Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
embear624
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Missing vault files

Jump to solution

I just purchased  McAfee All Access because my old subscription was about to expire in 8 days.  I had a vault file in My Documents and after installing on my pc with Windows 7 the file no longer exists and choosing McAfee Vaults only prompts for a new vault.  Is there any hope in getting my old files back? Or are they now lost forever?  I did not see any warning messages that all would be lost.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lpz999
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Re: Missing vault files

Jump to solution

The vault file should still be some where in your machine. Depends on how you got Win 7 installed on your box.

(1) upgraded from windows XP directly selected keep all applications.  After upgrade, the vault files should be in the folder "C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Local\McAfee Anti-Theft" or   "C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Local\McAfee File Lock", depends which version of MTP you installed.

(2) Some times, after upgrade, Win 7 will create a new folder called "oldWindows" all user data should be kept there. if you old windows is XP, please look at following folder; "Document Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\McAfee Anti-Theft" or

"Document Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\McAfee File Lock" to find the vault file.

If you can find the vault file, please following:

(1) Move the vault file to "C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Local\McAfee File Lock" folder

(2) lunch McAfee FileLock, click advanced button

import.png

Fill in "Access External Vault" dialogbox, browse to the vault file you just moved click "import" button. The lost vault should be restored.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

I'm assuming you mean File Lock and not Anti-Theft?

I suggest you go straight to Technical Support on this one.  It's free of charge and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

If it's Anti-Theft please say so as support is totally different.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/09/13 2:21:01 EDT PM
lpz999
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

The vault file should still be some where in your machine. Depends on how you got Win 7 installed on your box.

(1) upgraded from windows XP directly selected keep all applications.  After upgrade, the vault files should be in the folder "C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Local\McAfee Anti-Theft" or   "C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Local\McAfee File Lock", depends which version of MTP you installed.

(2) Some times, after upgrade, Win 7 will create a new folder called "oldWindows" all user data should be kept there. if you old windows is XP, please look at following folder; "Document Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\McAfee Anti-Theft" or

"Document Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\McAfee File Lock" to find the vault file.

If you can find the vault file, please following:

(1) Move the vault file to "C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Local\McAfee File Lock" folder

(2) lunch McAfee FileLock, click advanced button

import.png

Fill in "Access External Vault" dialogbox, browse to the vault file you just moved click "import" button. The lost vault should be restored.

Good luck!

embear624
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for this information.  I found the file and successfully opened it up to find all my important information.  I had the tech from McAfee log into my system and they could not find the file.  You made my day!!!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community