Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveM1785
Contributor II
Message 21 of 27

Re: McAfee Vaults

Jump to solution

Running the command <C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\McAfee\Installer\mcinst.exe" /uninstall /longpath "C:\Program Files\McAfee\MAT\matmain.inf> as administrator does not work on the 64 bit version of Windows 10

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎12/‎18/‎2020
OS build 19042.867
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

The result I get is <'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.>

Digging a bit further,  do not see an "Installer" directory under C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\McAfee

What needs to be done to remove this McAfee Vaults on 64 bit Windows 10?

ups0
Contributor II
Message 22 of 27

Jump to solution

Put it in the double quotes

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\McAfee\Installer\mcinst.exe" /uninstall /longpath "C:\Program Files\McAfee\MAT\matmain.inf"

However it is a short term solution as any update brings it back.

Of course it is possible to write the script which would detect the presence of this program and uninstall it automatically but for God's sake why to have to use such a brute solution?

It is a so annoying approach of McAfee to make the users to use compulsary adds-on programs like Vaults, QuickClean, Vulnerability Scanner (one can opt out from the schedule scanning but it is still run)

It seems to me that some product managers responsilbe for McAfee made the decisions to invest in some unpopular products and bundling them is a kind of rescue in order not to see that the people at most choose to turn off them.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 23 of 27

Jump to solution

They should make that Add-on programs as modules so you can select before installation what you want installed and what you don't want. I'm not sure why they don't do that. Probably thinking all PC users are retarded people who don't know anything about cybersecurity and making installation process stupid and simple with just one click.. so we get all garbage installed.

DanElliott
Contributor
Message 24 of 27

Jump to solution

This needs to be resolved ASAP McAfee. A quick Google of this problem shows this is a bigger problem than the few who have posted here would suggest. Seems you have a growing number of paying customers who are all at the end of their tether with this - myself included.

!!!!SHAME ON YOU FOR NOT RESPONDING TO THIS!!!!

I use the default Windows (10) documents tab but want to direct it to another folder on a bigger drive (D:) instead of the default (C:). Designing MCafee Vaults to have an unspecifiable location and unmovable file stamped into the "C:\documents" folder completely stops this happening.

Ironically - the Vaults app is quite happy to create a protected partition drive on any of my drives? I wouldn't have minded if you'd put this file somewhere in the system files folders but to put it in the documents folder is just plain bizarre!!

FOR THE LOVE OF COMMERCE - SORT IT OUT MCAFEE!!! We don't pay for this nonsense and if its not resolved asap I'll be uninstalling and asking for a total refund!

DaveM1785
Contributor II
Message 25 of 27

Jump to solution

Because of this and other apparently unfixable problems (ie: excessive "notification" and advertising pop-ups that can not be cleared without either opening the main program or, in some cases, logging off Win10 and logging back on, and other irritations), I will not be using McAfee after my subscription expires in a few weeks. And to be totally blunt and honest, if I had known that this software was originally designed and owned by a (now deceased) common criminal that fled the USA to avoid arrest for tax evasion John McAfee dead of apparent suicide in Spanish jail after court approves his extradition to U.S. on... , I never would have bought this software. Considering that history, I am now not surprised that that company cares nothing about user's preferences and problems, and does not respond to complaints about issues such as this "Vault" problem.

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 26 of 27

Jump to solution

well, all i know is that i have read recently a message that Vault feature is ending february 2022 and will be removed.

i did a search to find the article and found it back;

McAfee KB - Feature Removal: File Lock in McAfee software for Windows (TS103182)

MarceloRosa
Contributor
Message 27 of 27

Jump to solution

After spending hours looking for a solution, I finally came to this one (which really works).

Open an elevated Command Prompt (as Administrator) and type:
icacls "FULL PATH TO THE FOLDER" /reset /T /C

Example: icacls "C:\Users\DESKTOP123\Documents" /reset /T /C

Hit Enter and you're good! After that, just go to the folder again and remove it. Notice that this command line doesn't delete the folder itself, but it does reset all the NTFS permissions, so that you can do it by ordinary means, such as in File Explorer.

Hope it helps!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community