Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alikemal
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

McAfee Vault won't lock

Jump to solution

I purchased McAfee total protection about 2 months ago and the version of McAfee file lock I got with it is: 3.8.

I usually lock my vault when I am done using it. However when I turned my PC (windows 8.1) on today, the vault was unlocked and didn't allow me to acces the files in it and when I tried to lock it it would give this remark: " This vault cannot be locked because one or more files in this vault are in use. Please save and close any open files, then try again."

There are no files open from the vault, I have restarted the PC several times and the problem kept occurring. I have important files in the vault.  Your help will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Ali Kemal

Message was edited by: alikemal on 19/12/13 17:06:27 CST
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
alikemal
Former Member
Message 11 of 13

Re: McAfee Vault won't lock

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you for your concern and reply. However just before I read this, I tried to use CCleaner and scanned for registry issues to see if it had anything related to the problem I was facing. When the scan was complete there were several errors caused within the PC due to McAfee Total Protection and when I deleted these registry errors the problem seemed to disappear. I will definitely keep a note of what you have said up there incase I come across a situation like this again and CCleaner isn't sufficient.

Infact I'd like to thank everyone who tried to assisst me with the crisis. Thank you

Regards

- Ali Kemal

View solution in original post

12 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

I moved this to File Lock and although I don't use it myself I tried to find an answer.   This FAQ mentions that this error occurs when "you have a vault open in Windows Explorer and you open a second File Lock window, then try to lock the open vault" so are you absolutely sure that you closed all open file lock files?  Check in Task Manager.

If still no joy then contact Technical Support - it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/12/13 6:47:12 EST PM
alikemal
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked and everything is closed. I should have also said, eventhough the vault is unlocked at the moment it does not exist as a drive within "my computer" whereas it usually does exist as Drive Z.

I will try and contact the tech team for help.

Ali Kemal

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi alikemal,

You can try posting the screenshot of the Task Manager window with Details tab open. We can check if there is any process/exe's related to the File Lock Vault is running.

alikemal
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

Jump to solution

task manager5.jpgtask manager4.jpgTask Manager3.jpgTask manager2.jpg

Task manager1.jpg

I was able to what you asked in 5 screen shots.

Thanks for your concern.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi,

You can try this and check if that helps,

> Open McAfee UI

> Click Navigation

> General settings and Alerts > Access Protection

> Uncheck the check box and click Apply

Close McAfee and Try accessing/locking the Vault

Be sure to re-enable Access Protection irrespective of the Result.

Regards

alikemal
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

Jump to solution

This is all I get when I go on to general settings and alerts:

Mcafee.jpg

- Ali Kemal

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi Ali,

It seems that you have not logged into the computer as an Administrator. Please make sure that you login to the machine with Administrator account and try the above mentioned steps.

I wonder if that could be the reason for not able to lock the vault perhaps it could have been opened in another account..!

alikemal
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

Jump to solution

I am not sure how I can do that, since I am the only user of the PC and I am assuming that should make me the administrator.

Thanks

- Ali  Kemal

lpz999
Former Member
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi Alikemal,

From the sympotom described here, it seems like the problem might be related to Windows 8.1. Is your PC 32bit box or 64bit box? 

I suggest you reinstall McAfee MTP to Windows 8.1 to see if the problem is solved. 

If not and if you have another PC with Windows other than Windows 8.1.  I suggest that:

(1) Install McAfee MTP on that PC, I believe your license allow you install to 3 PCs.

(2) Configure File Lock in this PC the same way as you did in Windows 8.1.

(3) Copy the vault file from the Windows 8.1 to a USB, the vault file is located in "C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\McAfee File Lock"

(4) Insert the USB in the other PC

(5) launch File Lock from the PC and select Advanced manu as below

Advanced.png

(6) Fill vault name to some thing, click "browse" button and sellect the vault file from the USB driver; then click import button

(7) Now in your File Lock windows, you will see a new vault. try unlock this vault with the same password you set in Windows 8.1

I hope those steps will temporily solve your problem. Meanwhile, I suggest you call McAfee support for help.

Good luck!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community