cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
topmmc
Former Member
Message 21 of 75

Re: How to get rid of McAffee online backup?

Thanks for handling this issue
jeffevans52
Former Member
Message 22 of 75

Thanks for your clear explanation (although not the news I was hoping for).  In McAfee's next release of ISS, would you please suggest to those in charge of production to include the capability to remove individual components--in particular, the integrated version of Online Backup, via "Add / Remove Programs".  To have to remove the entire suite and then do a custom install in order to get rid of Online Backup is ridiculous.  Thanks for whatever input you can provide.  Is there a place to write to as an individual consumer to also request this?

Many Thanks,

Jeff E.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 75

We have suggested repeatedly they reintroduce that ability but thus far no joy I'm afraid.  The best place to suggest such things is through the Bug Reporting process in the beta testing of said products.

See:   https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1236

jeffevans52
Former Member
Message 24 of 75

I followed your link and posted a comment but it didn't "take".  I also requested to join the private group, if that is needed for the comment to be posted.  My only concern in all of this is to bring to "right person's" attention the need to be able to selectively remove "Online Backup" in the next ISS release.

Thanks.

Jeff E.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 75

It's a Private Group.  I just approved your membership and the content so it should be OK now.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/01/11 12:40:13 EST PM
jeffevans52
Former Member
Message 26 of 75

Thanks for the approval and posting.  Sorry--I didn't mean to post it twice.  I erased the duplicate content.. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 75

I just realized that you are trying to comment on my document, it isn't open to public comments.   It's there as an FYI only..  If you need to comment on the beta products you first need to be using them, once done then the bug reporting page will be open to you, or you can simply post in the group as a new discussion.

wetlook
Former Member
Message 28 of 75

I have a thread started: Removing McAfee Total Protection 2011 Mozy Data Protection and Online Backup.

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/34581

burky39
Former Member
Message 29 of 75

mrepuski -

Thanks for your efforts BUT several months ago  I  removed ALL traces of McAfee software and the MOBK online backup service and have even run McAfee's MCPR Removal Tool and in addition used the Perfect Uninstaller application to make sure everything was gone.  Then in addition I purged the Registry of almost 300 entries containing rerences to "McAfee" or "MOBK"

BUT I STILL HAVE A &^%$#@!!#@ McAfee Online Backup virtual drive appearing on my Computer drive list.  That virtual drive is empty but the icon remains!

How in blazes do I get rid of this unwanted and irritating icon?  I have treid everything.

The only trace (I can find) of this online backup effort is that I still have "McAfee Online Backup" folder in my Programs folder.  I have deleted everything out of that folder except the following three files . . . Data, MOBKshell.dll, oem.dll

I cannot delete tose as they are always locked (even starting in SAFE Mode) and I have found no way to kill them!

PLEASE advise.  I have tried the McAfee Support desk three times now, and they are useless.  I know more than they do and despite my wasting about 3 hours so far, I have no progress to show for it.

I am NOT a happy camper.

burky39
Former Member
Message 30 of 75

Holy crap!  I finally got rid of the TURKEY icon but what a battle.  After killing countless files scattered around my computer and over 300 Registry entries, I found still MORE Registry entries that were creating the virtual Backup drive icon in the myComputer drive window.

To get rid of the icon finally I had to . . .

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved

And find each of the following GUID entries and, delete them out of regedt32.:

• {e6ea1d7d-144e-b977-98c4-84c53c1a69d0}      Mcafee Online Backup Shell Extensions Icon Overlay 2
  • {b4caf489-1eec-c617-49ad-8d7088598c06}        Mcafee Online Backup Shell Extensions Icon Overlay 3
  • {781bca65-20ed-8f6a-368f-b523ec4f51b2}          Mcafee Online Backup Shell Extensions NSE
  • {3c3f3c1a-9153-7c05-f938-622e7003894d}         Mcafee Online Backup Shell Extensions

There are multiple occurances of each so starting at the Top (Computer) folder in Regedit search for each {.....} GUID entry with an initial CTRL-F.  Delete that entry then use F3 to keep searching until the "End of Registry" message appears, then look for the next GUID.

NOTE: If you still have McAfee installed and running (I don't) then you will have to stop/exit McAfee and make sure no Processes are still running CTRL-ALT-DELETE>Task Manager

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community