cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 75

Re: How to get rid of McAffee online backup?

Silverwizard wrote:

As a three machine licence holder I thought I would try out the Online Backup Service & proceeded to install it.

At no time prior to the install was I told that to remove the thing involved a total uninstall/reinstall of the entire suite.

Had I been given this information,I would have chosen NOT to install,I think that McAfee are being quite devious using

these "stealth marketing" techniques.

I for one will NOT be renewing my licence upon it's expiry,& will be looking to  "more open & honest" suppliers of my

security software.

It would surely have been a very simple operation to include an uninstaller accessible via add/remove programmes,so why didn't they?,they do with the paid option.

Message was edited by: Silverwizard on 21/07/10 06:52:22 CDT

If you select McAfee SecuritySuite (or Center) in the Control Panel/ Uninstall program list you should then be asked which component you wish to remove.

If not then I'm afraid the whole thing would have to be removed, run the MCPR removal tool in Useful Links above then reinstall what you want using the custom option from the online account.

Removal of individual parts depends on which version of SecurityCenter you have.  I have raised the seeming lack of flexibility in the very latest version on the agenda for our Monday afternoon conference call with McAfee management.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/07/10 8:08:43 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 75

We've been assured that individual component uninstallation ability will return with the 2011 product.

Foxyfarrell
Former Member
Message 13 of 75

Hi.  I had this problem.  I use Vista.  I clicked on START, typed in msconfig, clicked on msconfig.exe in box above, clicked on STARTUP tab and unchecked mcafee online backup.  Save and restart and the problem should be gone.

bitojoy
Former Member
Message 14 of 75

@ Mr Rupuski ~ what the HECK is MSC ?  I am NOT a computer programmer - I have tried to disable this service thur services - which STATES its disabled *but* it keeps backing up files - this thing is backing up trojans and I CANNOT use it

I cannot follow steps I don't understand and to give Vista users instructions that "assume" they know your "jargon" is simply - wrong !

On more levels than I care to list.

I want it off my computer - in fact - I grow more and more disatisfied with McAfee.   What happened to this AV proggy ?  It used to be something I could rely on 18 yrs ago - now, its getting to be more trouble than its worth - of course Windows didn't help matters creating VISTA (the worst OS in the history of Windows~ and an all time high promoter for changing to Mac)

Message was edited by: bitojoy on 9/22/10 10:54:26 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 75

MSC is McAfee SecurityCenter - open it by right-clicking the taskbar icon and selecting that or double-clicking it.

Do not disable services in the 'Services' pane as that can cause malfunctions and abnormal Windows behaviour.

He posted how to change settings/turn off Online Backup.

If you don't want the product at all then you can get rid of it by completely uninstalling everything in the normal manner via Control Panel.

Then use the MCPR removal tool to get rid of any remnants - linked under Useful Links above.

Reboot and reinstall from your online account using the Custom option, this time omitting Online Backup.

Vista has been a problem for some I must admit yet I prefer it over all of the systems currently supported and I use all of them.

mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 16 of 75

I have updated two of my posts in an attempt to clear up my statements and work around steps. If any of my steps are unclear or more steps are require please let me know. i am happy to make an changes needed.

Once again sorry for the use of the Acronym,

bitojoy
Former Member
Message 17 of 75

@Ex-Brit THANK YOU !!  I hate to sound *that* dumb but i would rather be dumb than enter the wrong thing on a Vista OS (and a mac is coming for my future).

I tried disabling it as a start up service in the meantime - but it doesn't seem to be working as it SHOWS its disabled on start up by windows and then continues to back up files.

Its backed up 2 trojans and a virus that McAfee caught, but I can't take the risk of using the back up service since it has those on it !

I just looked at the rest of his instructions and ........ I have McAfee Total Protection so I don't have the options listed in Online Backup services with the tabs mentioned.

But is IS disabled from start up - only the icon shows it is backing up files continually.

Message was edited by: bitojoy on 9/23/10 12:54:51 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 75

I think he was including instructions for the actual Online Backup application which can be bought seperately.    I have Total Protection too but omitted that feature from my download as I don't want it so your best bet would probably to uninstall, cleanup and then selectively install as I mentioned earlier.

Anyway good luck.

By the way I believe the online files are deleted after a certain length of time.

Mark Repuski may be able to clarify that.

mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 19 of 75

The steps I included should work for either the standalone or the integrated versions. The client appplication is the same for both applications. The actual difference is maintain in your account settings.

I am not sure why the options in my steps are not available. I checked them against an installation on a Windows XP VM. Let me run through the steps with a Vista and Win 7 VM and see if there are differences.

The pictures below show the status windows and the configuration window. The status window provides the version number in the title bar. Here the version read 1.16.4.0.

Is this what you are seeing?

OnlineBackupConfig.jpgOnlineBackupStatus.jpg

bitojoy
Former Member
Message 20 of 75

Sorry ~ all I can see is the 2cd box - it will not let me access the 1st one 

(or I would have been able to follow steps given) .  As I said, I disabled the service from the start up menu for Windows so its not an issue any longer.  I still do not like the product and come Feb will go to another AV proggy if at all possible !

Thanks

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community