cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
knsingh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 61 of 75

Re: How to get rid of McAffee online backup?

Hi GWE ,

Please check in the computers and reply, if you have the folder which I have mentioned .

This also works ISS in windows 7 computers . Disabling the service was a great Idea but that doesnot uninstalls MOBK.

Regards

Kriz

GWE
Former Member
Message 62 of 75

I checked them all before I replied before just to make sure I did not miss anything.  There was no such folder.  Too bad as I was really hoping it was there as I know my idea does not uninstall the program, just disables it.  I am almost positive I heard somewhere that what you said to do only works for a stand alone install of the MBOK program (like if you purchased it from MOZY) and did not apply to the integrated VS suites.  I could be wrong though as I do not remember where I heard that.

My son has a Win 7 computer but I did not make the mistake of regular install of the VS but did a custom install to not install the MBOK in the first place.  ( I learned by the fourth install )

Peacekeeper
Message 63 of 75

GWE yes the suggestion by knsingh is for the standalone. Talking to Teir 3 at the moment. Custom install way to go.

radioflyer
Contributor
Message 64 of 75

Sorry to be slow in getting back to this.

Re: earlier suggestion from PeaceKeeper about stopping Netguard . . . that has no effect at all.  And, yes, XP SP3, as I said previously.

Also -background - this was not a stand-alone install in the sense of getting if trom Mozy or downloading it at another time or being a custom download.  It came as part of the McA Internet Security Center.  It was one of the items called "Features" that I could turn on or not turn on once the program had installed.  I didn't turn it on initially but did so a couple of months ago in a moment of madness. It wouldn't run because it couldn't start  the exe file MOBKstat because it couldn't find an oem.dll file.  Originally I was searching to find out how to replace oem.dll . . . the instructions I found said to reinstall McAfee without uninstalling it and it would replace the missing file(s).  In the meantime, I decided I'd rather lose it (for a variety of reasons, including the fact that I don't want ot have to redo this if whatever program zapped the dll file in the first place does it again - and why wouldn't it?).

Kriz:  I do indeed have the folder McAfeeMOBK.  And it does have an exe file MozyUninstaller. I've beaten it with a stick, but it won't do anything.  It says in task manager that it's running but it doesn't seem to do anything or use any resources - it just seems to hang up.  (Could it be that nothing is fully installed to uninstall?)

If I decide to uninstall McAfee and reinstall it  . . .  . Under add/remove programs, I have both "McAfee Internet Security" and also "McAfee Security Scan Plus."  Does the second one still belong there, or should MIS have replaced it? 

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Message was edited by: radioflyer on 4/16/12 5:03:04 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 65 of 75

Security Scan Plus is an optional download with several other types of software including Adobe products and I guess you didn't spot it when downloading or updating at some stage.  It only tells you what security software you need and can be uninstalled.

Use the long uninstall method for Internet Security - i.e. via Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs, then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page,reboot and reinstall using the Custom option to NOT include Online Backup or anything else you may not want.   VirusScan and Personal Firewall are compulsory though so they can't be excluded.

radioflyer
Contributor
Message 66 of 75

Thanks much!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 67 of 75

You're welcome and sorry we couldn't produce a quick method for you.

radioflyer
Contributor
Message 68 of 75

The last time I had to do this it wasn't the un/reinstall that was the slow part . . . it was getting the network to function again afterwards!! 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 69 of 75

Oh dear.  I get problems with mine sometimes and for no apparent reason (that the Event Viewer can find anyway), fortunately a right-click > repair usually fixes it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 70 of 75

As the product has changed considerably since this thread was started way back in March, 2010 this thread really should be closed and anyone with new questions on the subject should start a new thread.

If there are no objections within 24 hours I will do that.

Edit:  Anyone with this issue please note that the issue when this thread was started was sorted out but over the years people have re-experienced it.  Any new problems please start a new thread.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/04/12 10:08:10 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community