cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_135441
Former Member
Message 51 of 75

Re: How to get rid of McAffee online backup?

There may be no official way to uninstall Online Backup without uninstalling the entire suite (how stupid is that?) but there is a way that works:

1. fire up Task Manager (ctrl/shift/esc on XP), go to 'processes' and end the process "MOBKbackup.exe"
  2. go to Program Files, find a folder called "McAfee Online Backup" and delete the file MOBKbackup.exe 
  3. edit the registry and delete every key that references MOBKbackup.exe (use the search)
  4. reboot then run a good quality registry cleaner (e.f. Advance System Care form iobit.com)

The McAfee control panel will still claim Online Backup is installed but it won't (can't) work and so will stop wasting processor time and memory.  You may be able to delete some or all of the other files in the "McAfee Online Backup" (including all the space-wasting help files in languages you've never heard of) but it will prevent you deleting some .dll and .dat files.  Don't worry about that.

This advice must re ain in force until McAfee reads a book on customer service and decides to define an official uninstaller.

GWE
Former Member
Message 52 of 75

Here is what worked for me.  I never liked doing registry changes.  This took me a while to figure out but it worked for me.  Win XP SP3 computer.

start

run

type in services.msc and click ok

locate the mbok (macafee back up) program in the list and right click on it

choose properties

on the general tab (comes up by default) about mid way down you will see a drop down box titled "startup type"

Simply change the automatic to disabled click apply and ok and the next time you reboot the problem is solved.

The program is still on the computer but it is not active and no longer shows in the task manager.

As an added benefit when you go to the services.msc you will most likely find other services that are starting that you do not need either such as java quick starter etc.  When you click on a selection  a small explanation also shows that tells what the program actually does.  Repeat the above steps for the other programs you do not need and you can really par down the un-needed bloat.  You can also go back and re-enable any program at any time so nothing this does is permanent.

Hope this helps and works as good as it did for me. 

Peacekeeper
Message 53 of 75

Put the suggestion re the uninstaller as an idea see my sig and if enough bump it up they might get the idea .

the custom installer has options to install only certain programs the uninstaller should offer the same.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 22/03/12 6:56:34 AM
Dinz
Former Member
Message 54 of 75

We had suggested this concept earlier as an idea ; which requires user polls. https://community.mcafee.com/ideas/1155

radioflyer
Contributor
Message 55 of 75

I was so hopeful that your suggestion above would solve the problem of being told that mobkstat.exe won't start because oem.dll isn't found.  I just want this whole application to go away!  But it doesn't work for that. It's still trying to start.   I'm XP SP3, too.

Peacekeeper
Message 56 of 75

What will work is uninstall Mcafee and reinstall via custom install. that will give you teh option to not install it.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

reinstall from your account.

Sorry but this will work for sure.

radioflyer
Contributor
Message 57 of 75

Thanks, PeaceKeeper, I am aware of that, but the whole reason I was here reading GWE's post in the first place was to try to find some way to deal with this that did *not* involve uninstalling and reinstalling the whole program.  And GWE's "fix" was appealing because it didn't even require messing with the registry.  I also have the McAfee Service Host Problem going on with both of my computers. My subscription runs out in June, and If I have to uninstall McAfee I'm not likely to reinstall it!  😉  But I do appreciate your response.

Peacekeeper
Message 58 of 75

Re Mcsvhost I assume you have XP. Have you tried disabling Netguard a firewall feature?

I assume you have been following the thread re this?

Re online backup I will ask tomorrow in our call.

knsingh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 59 of 75

Hi

To unistall onlinebackup alone from the computer

Open C:\Program Files\McAfee MOBK folder

There you may find "Mozy unistaller" Run the tool and restart the computer

Regards

Kriz

GWE
Former Member
Message 60 of 75

I think that solution will only work if you have a stand alone MBOK install.  I have the entire Internet Security Suite installed in which case I do not believe what you said applies.

My solution several posts above to disable it has worked on 3 computers for months now with no issues.  All are XP SP3

The obvious solution is for McAfee to simply provide a unstall program to fix this.  It has been at least a year and we are all still waiting.  I can not believe it would be that difficult to do.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community