cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 41 of 75

Re: How to get rid of McAffee online backup?

Are you sure it's McAfee Online Backup to blame here?   There are so many similar programmes out there.   Look for Mozy or EMC Retrospect in your programme list to name but 2

newjack
Former Member
Message 42 of 75

I agree with you 100% But if you vent your frustrations.Even after countless Mcafee miscues.You will be left with no answers.It seems they tend to Ignore them so they go to the bottom of the pack.I guess a paying costumer with problems must stay patiant and always understanding.Even when waiting months for a fix to come down.Which is unacceptable to most people.I guess there are always 10 other people for every one that leaves

GWE
Former Member
Message 43 of 75

Ok now that you asked-here is another annoyance.  Sometimes when I click on the check for updates it hangs on the checking for updates and stays that way for hours until I exit out and restart??  When it is hanging the icon in the system tray will not have the blue circle going around it and it does not say checking for updates when I hover the mouse pointer over it.

When it is really checking for updates and working I see the blue circle and it will say checking for updates when I hover the pointer over the icon in the tray.

This is an intermittent issue.

On other occasions when I click the check for updates it returns me to the original screen and nothing happens??

These do not seem related meaning one does not then increase the chance of the other happening.

I am somewhat picky about keeping mcaffee up to date.

GWE
Former Member
Message 44 of 75

100%.  It is listed in the start-programs-mcaffee online back up.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 45 of 75

GWE wrote:

Ok now that you asked-here is another annoyance.  Sometimes when I click on the check for updates it hangs on the checking for updates and stays that way for hours until I exit out and restart??  When it is hanging the icon in the system tray will not have the blue circle going around it and it does not say checking for updates when I hover the mouse pointer over it.

When it is really checking for updates and working I see the blue circle and it will say checking for updates when I hover the pointer over the icon in the tray.

This is an intermittent issue.

On other occasions when I click the check for updates it returns me to the original screen and nothing happens??

These do not seem related meaning one does not then increase the chance of the other happening.

I am somewhat picky about keeping mcaffee up to date.

Mine does that sometimes.  Best to just let it do it on its own.  It's programmed to do it silently.

100%.  It is listed in the start-programs-mcaffee online back up.

Then maybe Mark Repuski can help as he said he would.  Not sure he's around at weekends though.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/07/11 7:41:51 EDT PM
mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 46 of 75

I am a bit confused with the issue in the recent posts. I understood that this thread was speaking to issue uninstalling Online Backup. The short answer is this. The issue has been acknowledged, a bug filed, a tool is being created but has not been released yet. The release date is pending.

As for the issue with updates that should be in another thread. However as you have asked I will offer this. Updates have two basic functions, application updates and content updates. Application updates are checked daily while content updates are checked several times a day. In addition to the types of updates you have two styles of updates automatic and manual.

When an update is started in runs through a set of rules and checks to ensure that an update will not interfere with the operation of the system. These tests could including available resouces, access to the Internet, available CPU, gaming mode and so on.

From your description it sounds like an automatic update was triggered and found the system in a state that canceled the update. If you have concerns about the installed version and or DATs check the versions in the about option and then run a manual update. Manual updates have far fewer tests before starting the actual update process.

riley
Contributor
Message 47 of 75

I have what appears to be a stand alone version of McAfee Online back-up on one of my computers running MS XP(originally there were more McAfee applications, but they were recently removed). When I go to Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel, McAfee Online Backup is NOT listed. 

Is there a simple and effective way to remove the application?

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 48 of 75

Hi riley,

Please go through this document so as to uninstall MOBK unlimited and limited storage feature http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100745 .

Regards,

riley
Contributor
Message 49 of 75

Thanks Jai.  I reinstalled McAfee Total Protection; then I used Windows Add/Remove programs to remove aMcAfee Total Protection and that also removed Online Backup.

GWE
Former Member
Message 50 of 75

I find it unacceptable to need to uninstall the entire McAfee Suite in order to remove the online back up.  Please get a tool for just the backup uninstall.  It can not be too difficult to do this.  This needs to be done ASAP as I have been waiting for quite a while for this.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community