cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pat345
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

How do I permenently get rid of wrapperapplication.exe or wrappericontray.exe after OB failed to verify user name/password?

I upgraded to Online Internet Security in December.  After I clicked on the Online Backup setup, I was told that McAfee failed to verify user name and/or password.  Since that time I changed my password several times, waited, and Online Backup was never able to verify me.  I gave up and went to Mozy.

However, every time I start PC, I have wrappericontray.exe starting and reminding me to setup my online backup.  When I click on it, it turns into wrapperapplication.exe and again fails to verify me, and then when I click on exit setup, I have that flashing wrapper icon again.  If I try to close it, sometimes clicking around it starts the whole search/failed to verify again and again.  I usually shut it down through my Task Manager, otherwise I could spend all day trying to shut it down.

How do I get rid of that online backup reminder wrapper icon?  And how come I cannot ever be verified?

I would appreciate your help, especially in getting rid of that pesky wrapper icon tray.

Pat

5 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: How do I permenently get rid of wrapperapplication.exe or wrappericontray.exe after OB failed to verify user name/password?

Hi Pat,

Could you please post me with a screen shot of wrappericontray.exe  and possibly one for wrapperapplication.exe .

Regards,

Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

pat345
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Re: How do I permenently get rid of wrapperapplication.exe or wrappericontray.exe after OB failed to verify user name/password?

When I start my PC, apart from the regular McAfee Internet Security icon (shield with a letter M), I have a flashing icon next to it with the same shield as McAfee, but it has two arrows instead of a letter, one pointing up, one pointing down, and I believe this is the online backup icon.  The message asks me to configure McAfee Online Backup.  When this icon is on my status bar, there is an application running in my task manager called wrappertrayicon.exe.

When I click on the flashing icon, the icon disappears and I see three repetitions of green bars going from left to right (as I did the first time that I did click on Set Up Online Backup), then I have a pop up window reading "Failed t verify your username and/or password.  We failed to verify your username and/or password.  Please try again, or contact McAfee Customer Service."  There are three options - a hyperlink to "Contact McAfee Support" - which takes me to your support site, and two buttons.  When I click on RETRY, the same set of green bars appears, and the same window appears.  When I click on CANCEL or hit on ESC, then I see a pop up window "Registration and Configuration incomplete" with two options - RESUME (which goes back to green bars, failed window, and the Incomplete window, over and over), and EXIT SETUP - which goes back to the flashing icon.  When these programs run - the green bars, the Failed and Incomplete registration windows are on, then I see in my task manager the wrapperapplication.exe file.

The funny thing is that I actually searched my PC and found a folder called McAfee Online Backup and these files were in that folder - wrappertrayicon.exe and wrapperapplication.exe.  I clicked on another file in that folder called something with configuration, and was asked about my license key, email and password, and actually started doing backup.  After this started, the wrapper files disappeared from that folder and config files changed name to MOBKbackup.exe, MOBKconfig.exe, MOBKstat.exe (the last is the status tray).  However, I can only access the backup through clicking on these programs and not through McAfee Internet Security.  Even though I am configured and did trial backup, I still get the errors when trying to access backup through the McAfee program and have to manually shut down the wrapper icon or wrapper application or it goes over and over again.

So is there some detachment with McAfee Internet Security and the online backup service that you offer?  Do I need to reinstall the software so it will recognize the configuration?  I was never asked for a license key when I clicked on the backup on McAfee Internet Security program - it just goes into an error immediately.

I am attaching a Word document with all screen shots.   And the green bars you will see seem to float on the top of all open applications, so I never see the actual backup trial window, just three repetitions of these bars running from left to right.

Thank you for your help.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the clear explanation of the problem and the screen shots, These errors can be caused by a weak login password. A weak login password does not meet a set of requirements that make the password hard to guess. Your login password must contain at least eight characters and at least one number.

If your password doesnt meet the above requirements,please have it changed and retry the process. If it still fails to verify the user name & password - Please click on useful links at the top of this page and get connected with our technicians.

Also, click on my avatar here in forums and send me a private message with your case number from tech support, so that I could review the same .

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

pat345
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Dinesh,

Thank you.  My password is 8 letters and 4 numbers, but I will make it longer and stronger and try again.  If it fails again, I will contact the technicians.

Thank you again for your help.

Pat

pat345
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Dinesh,

Just FYI, I changed my password to 20 characters of letters and numbers intermingled with each other, I believe very secure as it is quite random, and two days later I still have the same "wrappers" - either tray or application - that I have to shut down.  I will contact your technicians next week.  There must be some disassociation between your internet security link for online backup and the actual online backup program as it does not seem to recognize the existing setup.  I hope the McAfee technicians find a solution before I give up and switch to something else.  I never had this problem with the prior version of McAfee (which I had through AT&T for my prior DSL, and which had an older icon of an M in a square box - I don't remember which version it was).

Best regards,

Pat

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community