cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jw6766
Contributor II
Message 1 of 15

File Lock locked old My Documents folder on new Win7x64 install. How to unlock?

Jump to solution

Had to replace system board. Old hard drive was Vista Business x32.  Bought Win 7 Pro x64, installed on new SSD. When I installed McAfee All Access, the My Documents folder on the old hard drive showed as locked.  I'm able to access all the files on the old drive except My Documents.  I didn't setup Safekey or Online Backup on the system before it crashed, but both were installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jw6766
Contributor II
Message 14 of 15

Re: File Lock locked old My Documents folder on new Win7x64 install. How to unlock?

Jump to solution

Thanks for everyone's input.  Looks like the files aren't recoverable.  I restored from backup. Moving on.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

Re: Safekey locked old My Documents folder on new Win7x64 install. How to unlock?

Jump to solution

That's very odd that those files would be locked if you hadn't setup those aspects of the software.

Are you sure this isn't simply a matter of permissions in Windows?

I think maybe it's best you go straight to Technical Support - it's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 15

Re: Safekey locked old My Documents folder on new Win7x64 install. How to unlock?

Jump to solution

What makes you think it's safekey? Can you post a screen shot of what you mean by "shows as locked"? SafeKey does not lock folders or protect data - it's a password vault.

It's quite normal for my documents from one computer not to be accessible by another - that's standard Windows permissions. To get around it you need to add your user account with "full access" permission (log in as an administrator, right click the folder, security etc). Normal Windows stuff.

Sometimes you can trigger this just by trying to copy the folder - Windows will tell you that the "operation requires permission", you give that and it will add you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274902-45-unable-access-documents-folder-access-denied

As Ex_Brit says, if you didn't set up SafeKey, it won't be set up, plus remember, SafeKey does not secure folders - it's a password keeper - http://download.mcafee.com/products/manuals/en-us/MLSK_userguide_2012.pdf

jw6766
Contributor II
Message 4 of 15

Jump to solution

I can't post a screenshot until I get home from work. But, where the folder icon would normally appear to the left of the folder name, there is a Mcafee icon. And when I click on it, Safekey setup wizard appears.  I don't remember setting it up before the system crashed. But, I do remember uninstalling it.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 15

Jump to solution

I must admit - that sounds more like a file than a folder. I'll wait until you can get some screen shots so we can see exactly what's going on.

jw6766
Contributor II
Message 6 of 15

Jump to solution

Here's a screenshot of my user folder on the old hard drive after installing McAfee All Access.

I tried renaming the folder, resetting permissions, copying the folder and sharing the folder. All to no avail.

printscrn1.bmp

When I try to expand the folder this is what I get. 

printscrn2.bmp

Here's what I get when I try to open the folder.

printscrn3.bmp

But, as you can see, the folder is not empty.

printscrn4.bmp

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 15

Jump to solution

Ok that's file lock - not safekey.

No idea - call support. You could try seeing if the files are simply hidden (dir z: /ah in a command prompt) - I am also guessing permissions might be at play as I mentioned before - the system knows the files are there, but you don't have the rights to see them because you're not the original "Jim".

Again, the security tab is your friend for that.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 15

Jump to solution

Thread moved to File Lock

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 15

Re: File Lock locked old My Documents folder on new Win7x64 install. How to unlock?

Jump to solution

Original post title has been corrected to reflect File Lock.  As Safeboot suggests, Technical Support is your best bet as I originally suggested.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 15

Jump to solution

I just made a similar test.

Please can you check you have permission to view the folder - right click it, select security, advanced etc, view effective permissions - I think you will find you have no rights to view the content.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community