Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grosjema
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Mcafee slow down other activities

Jump to solution

Dear Mcafee team,

Could you please check my McAfee product to make sure that it works well? For a few days, it is slowing down a game I am playing with which is very annoying. I would prefer that Mcafee works and use the CPU only when the computer is working slower and the CPU is less under pressure. I would prefer that Mcafee work not at all during the game and work after or before.

Thanks for your understanding!

All the best

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kamen_uzunov
Message 5 of 5

Re: Mcafee slow down other activities

Jump to solution

Hi @Grosjema,

There could be different reasons for the high CPU usage - the parametres of your PC, traces from a 3rd party software and others. 

I would suggest the following wokr arounds:

-to temporary disable the software while playing your game you can go to the settings and disable the real-time scan and firewall - note that this means that during the time you keep it off McAfee will not protect your PC. You can then turn it back on once you finished playing.

-you can reinstall McAfee following the steps in the KB articles below and see if it still uses a lot of CPU post re-installation. I would also advise you to check for traces from another anti-virus program.

How to remove McAfee products from a PC that runs Windows

How to download and install McAfee consumer products

You can as well contact our live support agents for further help: McAfee Support

Hope this helps 🙂

Stay safe,

Kamen - McAfee Support

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi @Grosjema 

Please check in Task Manager on how much memory McAfee consumes.  Check if any background process is running like scans or updates with in the UI and also please try turning off the schedule scan option and check the status. 

Regards

Magesh J

plamen_a
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi, 

could you please specify if the game is slower due to high usage of CPU (it can be seen in the task manager)? 

Regards, 

Plamen 

Grosjema
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes it goes up to 100% because some Mc-afee tasks are taking 25% of the CPU. 

Cheers

kamen_uzunov
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi @Grosjema,

There could be different reasons for the high CPU usage - the parametres of your PC, traces from a 3rd party software and others. 

I would suggest the following wokr arounds:

-to temporary disable the software while playing your game you can go to the settings and disable the real-time scan and firewall - note that this means that during the time you keep it off McAfee will not protect your PC. You can then turn it back on once you finished playing.

-you can reinstall McAfee following the steps in the KB articles below and see if it still uses a lot of CPU post re-installation. I would also advise you to check for traces from another anti-virus program.

How to remove McAfee products from a PC that runs Windows

How to download and install McAfee consumer products

You can as well contact our live support agents for further help: McAfee Support

Hope this helps 🙂

Stay safe,

Kamen - McAfee Support

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community