cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 1 of 32

update to 16.0.3 was troublesome

Today I noticed the McAfee taskbar icon was gone.  Usually that means an incomplete update and I restart the PC to get it back.

I restarted the PC and found I was updated to 16.0.3, security center version 16.3.163 but with a date of 8/8/17 (the date I was updated to 16.0.2).

I did a manual update and it downloaded and installed updates (so it said).  I left the window open during the update.  When done, McAfee said computer was at risk because real time scanning was off.  In the past when I've seen this, I restart the PC and all is fine.

But at this restart, the versions were still 16.0.3, security center version 16.3.163, but still with a date of 8/8/17.

And I started getting Windows warnings in the Action Center that Defender was off and the firewall was off and there was no virus protection.

I restarted the PC just to be safe and still got the Windows warnings about Defender, the firewall and the virus protection.  It appears McAfee either didn't start or didn't notify Windows correctly.  McAfee says the firewall is on, and real time scanning is on and my computer is safe.

I did another manual update and it downloaded and installed updates again.    After the updates were installed, there was no warning about my computer being at risk and the Windows warnings went away.  Version is now 16.0.3, Security center 16.3.163, but now has the correct date 8/22/17.

Shouldn't automatic updates go more smoothly?  Why do I need to update manually when I have set automatic updates.

I am running Windows 7.

31 Replies
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 2 of 32

Re: update to 16.0.3 was troublesome

And, I just did another restart to be sure all was installed.  And I am now getting the Window's action center warnings about Defender, no firewall and no virus scanner. 

Even though McAfee says is it running, and its firewall is on !

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 32

I have mine set to automatically update as well. The majority of cases they normally install smoothly. However there are times which you indeed may have to do a restart. There are various reasons,not necessarily due to the software.

It seems that all is okay now. It is my understanding that we will eventually be updated to 16.4 late September.

Hope this helps...

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 32

I had posted before I seen this. Sometimes you can open your Task Manager go to services and Disable/Restart the Windows Action/Security Center. The Warnings will stop and show all is okay.

Scroll down to Security Center/WSCSV and do so.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 5 of 32

could not stop service, got an "access denied" error.  There was no disable option in task manager.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 32

Okay, I have done it before. And it works.

1.Open Task Manager

2. Select Services

3.Select Services again (Bottom right)

4. Scroll down to Service Center/WSCSV,Double left click on it.

5. Select disable/apply/stop.

6.Click on it and set to Automatic(Delayed) Apply/Start

7.Warnings will disappear and McAfee will be recognized.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 7 of 32

No that did not work either.  There is only stop the service, which I did and then started it again.  And the same warnings about no defender, firewall and virus scanner were displayed in the action center after it was restarted.

I think there is a McAfee bug here, since the last Windows update was a few weeks ago and McAfee updated today.

I am getting concerned about the testing done by McAfee on Windows 7, before new updates.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 32

Look at the Display I inserted,and click on the (drop down) arrow where it says (Automatic) delayed and select disable.

For I have had to do this before and it (Worked).

Also this is (not) a McAfee issue.

Now I digress...

All the best...

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 9 of 32

Did that and it did not solve the problem.

quiltgirl
Contributor III
Message 10 of 32

Did "disable/apply/stop"   then "automatic(delayed) /apply/start"  and it still warns about defender, no virus scan and no firewall.

I guess I will ignore the Windows warnings for now and trust McAfee, but I am getting leery.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community