cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nigelp
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

undocking the update window

For some reason, McAfee has decided to dock its update notification window in the lower right corner of my screen.  It's obnoxious enough that the window can't be minimized, but now I can't move it out of the way either.  Does anyone know how to undock it?  And McAfee, if you see this, what in God's name made you think this is a good idea?  If you're trying to be so obtrusive that we'll just click update immediately just to get it out of the way, it's going to backfire.  If no one here knows how to undock it, I'll just change my settings so I have to check for updates manually.  Our computers are ours.  They don't exist as some device to store updated versions of McAfee.  At a certain point, you're just not worth the trouble, and you're getting awfully close to that point.  It's not like you're the only antivirus software available.

9 Replies
celavey
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

Re: undocking the update window

Check McAfee preferences, options or settings folder for this. You should be able to read where you need to change it.

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Hi Nigelp,

Kindly let us know what is the Internet explorer version in the computer. 

Also check when you click on about of McAfee screen does is show a blank screen.

If McAfee screen shows blank screen, Follow the steps in the doc https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3000

Thanks,
Jai Prakash,
McAfee Community Moderator.

Message was edited by: JaiPrakash on 3/5/12 12:58:18 PM CST
nigelp
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Celavy,

Could you be a little more specific?  I didn't find anything about the update pop-up window position.  The only thing I found regarding updates was whether or not I wanted notificatons.

Message was edited by: nigelp on 3/10/12 9:10:06 AM CST

Message was edited by: nigelp on 3/10/12 9:10:39 AM CST
nigelp
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Jai,

I have Explore 8.0.6 installed.  The McAfee screen does not appear blank when I click on the "About McAfee" tab.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

Open SecurityCenter by double-clicking the taskbar icon (or right-click and select)

Click Navigation at top right

Click General Settings and Alerts at left

Click Information Alerts

Uncheck the one for updates if already checked and click Apply

An update popup is unavoidable, however, a) if you have updates turned off and haven't updated for some time or b) a major update has occurred and you need to reboot.

If that fails to budge the annoyance I suggest opening a case with Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/03/12 10:27:34 EST AM
nigelp
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Ex,

I assume that will make it so I don't get a pop-up at all, and that I will have to check manually, by right-clicking on the toolbar icon or some such, to see if there are any updates available, correct?  That is my plan B.  It's not that I object so much to the pop-up, it's that I object to it not being movable.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

No it just means that it wont tell you when an update has been installed but to check the update version/date then yes, you'd have to go into SecurityCenter/About.  Normally they come in silently.  On my machine I never even notice them unless I happen to look at the icon by the clock at thr right moment and detect the activity there.

You can set how SecurityCenter actually checks for updates in Updates > Settings on the main page.

nigelp
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

When I've allowed McAfee to update at will in the past, everything on my computer slows to a crawl, which is very annoying if you're in the middle of something or want to use the computer for anything but an updating machine for McAfee.  That's why I make McAfee tell me when an update is ready so I can update my computer when it's convenient for me, rather than when it's convenient for them.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

That's a shame, maybe your machine is nearer to the system requirement limits than mine.   I notice a slight reduction in performance but not a lot.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community