cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lochkelly
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

total protection prevented windows 7 optional updates

I had to complete restore my Asus laptop.  I got some Windows 7 updates completed.  Realized I had to reinstall McAfee Total Protection before I went any further being connected online.  Went back to downloading and installing all those Windows updates but the laptop wouldn't even download them!!!  Since McAfee makes it so hard to find how to change settings and permissions to allow programs access to the internet I just uninstalled Total Protection.  Guess what.  Now WIndows is downloading and installing all the updates including the optional ones.

I need to reinstall Total Protection but if it's going to prevent necessary programs like Windows Update from pulling from the internet, maybe I need to shop around for another protection software.  It's a shame.  I've been with McAfee for years and years but it keeps getting less and less user friendly.

Any answers or instructions?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

3 Replies
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 4

Re: total protection prevented windows 7 optional updates

Hi

I am with Support and haven't heard of McAfee blocking Windows Updates. In fact McAfee has a built in component called "Vulnerability Scanner" to check for and install updates to Windows and other programs.

Please post back the version details of McAfee Total Protection installed on your computer. (Open McAfee GUI > Click "About" from bottom right)

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 4

McAfee would never block Windows Updates provided you are trying to install them using Windows/Microsoft Update.  Even if they were individually downloaded all it may do is popup a check box but still wouldn't block them.  Something else is at work there,  Have you had any other strange happenings?

Also is this Windows 7 SP1 and do you have, even if you never use it, IE11 installed?  (The reason I ask is because McAfee UI uses it).

The only time you need to disable the antivirus is when installing Service Packs and that is a very rare occasion.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

I moved this to the General Discussion section.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community