cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GWE
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

reboot after update

Why do I need to reboot after many of the updates?  This is a pain and I would prefer to not need to do this.

Also how soon for the tool to remove the online back up part of McAfee?

3 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 4

Re: reboot after update

May I know the name of McAfee products are you using?

GWE
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

McAfee internet security 3 liscense.

yippeekaiyay
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

I'm often told to reboot after updates because the McAfee update server apparently thinks an update is available for McAfee Security Center (MSC). I'm running McAfee AntiVirus Plus. Current build is 11.0.578, which was just updated to 8/25/11. The update server has been doing this to me since the whole version 11.0/WFP issue started.

The following quote was taken from my mcupdmgr log file in the Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\MCLOGS\MISP\mcupdmgr folder. It's requesting data from the server and the result a second later is this:

08/30/2011 10:38:53 PM$ -- (Information)$ [   mcupdmgr.exe]$ The response data is Status=0

RespType=0

and...

08/30/2011 10:38:53 PM$ -- (Information)$ [   mcupdmgr.exe]$ An update is available for the following application: msc

08/30/2011 10:38:53 PM$ -- (Information)$ [   mcupdmgr.exe]$ The app (msc) has been added to the update queue.

That means I'll have to reboot on my next update due to an MSC update. One interesting thing is in the lines containing the update request data (file names and versions) after that ping url, the last line of it shows "BuildNumber=11.0.578" which is what I have.

Anyway, just confirming GWE isn't alone in this. I'm pretty sure I've seen others report similar issues. It's an inconvenience more than anything, but in my case it leads to other issues associated with the Windows File Protection forum topic.

Message was edited by: yippeekaiyay on 8/30/11 10:10:11 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community