cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yogi156
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

real time scanning

I recently found a trojan during a scheduled scan on my computer.

Shouldn't the real time scanner have caught this? I verified that it is turned on.

Maybe a dumb question, but seems logical to me.

thank you!

7 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Re: real time scanning

Hi Yogi156,

You are right , Real time scanner is something that actively goes ahead and scans for viruses at times when any programs are installed onto your computer through a CD/USB/Memory stick . But, this sometimes becomes difficult if a user is intimated on the warning from Real time scanner about the download, but they accidently ignore and download the programs.

Do you have any body else using this PC to download/surf sites ????  

Regards,

yogi156
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

My computer is always on, so anybody here might have access to it.

My wife and adult son both are here, but they each have thier own computers, and deny using mine.

Was infected yesterday, trojan, McAfee would not load/scan . internet stopped, pop-ups wanting me to 'activate antivirus'

Only way I could find to work was to system restore in safe mode. Scans turn up clean now, but I wonder .......

LonelyTripper
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Hi Yogi156,

1. Make sure your McAfee Product is UptoDate

2. Delete all the Tempory Internet File

3. Run a full scan again

LT Je

yogi156
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

I did as LonelyTripper suggested, and scan came back clean.

Thank You!

yogi156
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

virus / trojan is back.

C:\ format

goodby McAfee, no good if you can't keep me safe

Hello Norton

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 8

You don't say what the name of the infection is. There are some infections that will get past McAfee - and Norton for that matter. Zero-day exploits are so-called because the first wave of malware goes unrecognised;, until the database is updated to deal with them they have a clear run. That's why regular updates of all your installed software - plus McAfee, plus Windows - is essential.

If it's been detected by a scan that means it's a known threat.

So what trojan is it? Give us a name and somewhere, there will be a description and a removal method.

Oh, and if you're getting pop-ups about running scans and telling you that you've got errors all over the place, it's probably a fake antivirus program - and they can be cleaned from your system.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 17/05/11 02:59:53 IST
yogi156
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

Was never detected by a scan. that's what bothers me.

"getting pop-ups about running scans and telling you that you've got errors all over the place, it's probably a fake antivirus program"

from what I can tell it was something called win7 total security

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_scanning/how-to-remove-win-7-total-security...

I still think a good antivirus program should be able to detect / repair..

Maybe I expect too much.....

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community