Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newjack
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

new problem-user account prompt

Jump to solution

now all of a sudden i went to open my mcafee security center & i recieved a prompt saying do you want to allow this program to make changes to this computer.I am posting this because i have never had this happen since i installed mcafee.when i click on details it says "C PROGRA~2\mcafee\msc\mscshell.exe.Could i possibley changed something when trying to fix visual tracer.And if this is O.k does anyone know how i can allow without getting the prompts again? I a did change suggested by ex-brit for visual tracer (under programs) from firewall post.But i don`t think  this should be a problem.

Message was edited by: newjack on 12/19/09 6:49:30 PM CST
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Re: new problem-user account prompt

Jump to solution

Newjack,

User Account Control is a technology and security infrastructure introduced with Microsoft's Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 operating system. It aims to improve the security of Microsoft Windows by limiting application software to standard user privileges until an administrator authorizes an increase. In this way, only applications trusted by the user may receive administrative privileges, and malware should be kept from compromising the operating system . That infact is a good thing a you could restrict access for those programs which you don’t recognise.

Regards,
Dinesh K

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kmrahul1
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Newjack,

mcshell.exe is McAfee SecurityCenter exe file and it is nice to see you got a program permission window for this file. You can allow this file and please check whether you enabled Smart Recommendation on firewall or not?

newjack
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Thanks very much for the reply.I have been haven a few problems so i was wondering.Greatly appreciated.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Newjack,

User Account Control is a technology and security infrastructure introduced with Microsoft's Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 operating system. It aims to improve the security of Microsoft Windows by limiting application software to standard user privileges until an administrator authorizes an increase. In this way, only applications trusted by the user may receive administrative privileges, and malware should be kept from compromising the operating system . That infact is a good thing a you could restrict access for those programs which you don’t recognise.

Regards,
Dinesh K

newjack
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Thanks Dinz, still learning my way around(lol) That is great advise.The only problem is i am an average computer user at best and ......i know this sounds paraniod but could`nt malware or anything else also be run as a proper application?Or am i wrong.For example i have a program that says it is a dell file.If i click it to go to hackerwatch it says dell,application  unknown.Or Mcafee, i know Mcafee is a big program.I have 13,maybe more mcafee full access permissions does that sound right?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community