Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bl1259
Contributor III
Message 1 of 8

minimum memory for Total Protection

Jump to solution

Hello

I installed Total Protection a couple of years back on a Windows tablet with 1GB of memory.

At the moment McAfee minimums shows as 2GB for both Total Protection and Live Safe.

Did this change at some point?  Is it still allowed to run the version currently installed on my 1GB machine?

I am wondering if the time has come to buy another tablet.

Thanks

BL

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Re: minimum memory for Total Protection

Jump to solution

An afterthought:  this may suit you better, no firewall but very small and min req 1gb of RAM:  Antivirus Software and Internet Security For Your PC or Mac | McAfee

View solution in original post

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

I guess it all depends on how many of the features you intend to use.  When installing one can choose a custom install and not install stuff you don't want.  In my case it was Anti-Spam and Family Protection.   Doing that you may be able to dodge the minimum requirements handily.   I guess it's a case of trial and error.   If it works, it works....excuse the mixed metaphors.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello Benjamin,

Just wanted to clarify if your tablet is running Android.

Edit:

Noticed that you mentioned its a Windows tablet. Try installing it and see if it goes well. If not Support is always there to help.

bl1259
Contributor III
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

I tried installing LiveSafe and I got an error pretty early in the process saying I did not meet the minimum memory requirement.   I did not have this issue a couple of years back when installing Total Protection.

I will try the idea of minimizing the number of features I select to install and see if that helps, but I get the impression something has changed in terms of how they support low-memory windows tablets in the last couple of years.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

You're probably right but good luck anyway.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

An afterthought:  this may suit you better, no firewall but very small and min req 1gb of RAM:  Antivirus Software and Internet Security For Your PC or Mac | McAfee

bl1259
Contributor III
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks!

Using the Anti-Virus only product would have been a good suggestion,

I was starting to think about what other anti-virus products are out there and if I should switch, but it is obviously easier to run the same product on all my systems.

In the meantime events overtook me.   The screen on my tablet stopped working, and I believe a repair would cost more than the tablet is worth, so i think it is time to buy a new tablet with >= 2GB of memory, which will also solve my McAfee problems.

Before the tablet broke I had a brief phone call with McAfee support.  I asked if I could get around the 2GB limit by doing a custom install and choosing only a few features and they said no.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Interesting, thanks for posting back.  I guess you could mark this thread answered?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community