cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cad_techniche
Contributor
Message 1 of 27

mfewfpk.sys issue

Anybody know of a problem with mfewfpk.sys? Checked device manager and it is showing a Code 24 in the device status area (not working, not present, blah...blah...blah). Checking the driver tab shows the current status as Started. What is up with that???

26 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 27

Re: mfewfpk.sys issue

"mfewfpk.sys" is a McAfee firewall driver. One source says it's part of the Enterprise product, but that doesn't mean it's not also in the Consumer version. What McAfee product are you running?

There are threads over at Microsoft which discuss problems associated with that driver - conflicts between McAfee and Microsoft Security Essentials. The underlying issue there seems to be that running the two programs together causes problems. Are you running anything else as well as McAfee?

To check whether your McAfee installation has a problem you should first run MVT (see HERE).

cad_techniche
Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Properties check indicates the file description as "Anti-Virus Mini-Firewall Driver".

I am running a consumer version of McAfee Internet Security Suite provided by my ISP. Not running any other real-time anti-virus or firewall software.

I find myself constantly running MVT because of issues such as this. Occasionally it finds an incorrect registry entry, but indicates no problems most of the time (although there is).

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 27

cad_techniche wrote:

Properties check indicates the file description as "Anti-Virus Mini-Firewall Driver".

I am running a consumer version of McAfee Internet Security Suite provided by my ISP. Not running any other real-time anti-virus or firewall software.

If it's a McAfee product provided through a third party it's going to be a customised version, and you may not have the latest version. What versions of the product does Security Center/About say you've got?

cad_techniche
Contributor
Message 5 of 27

I'm no IT Professional, but I do consider myself an advanced user. As such, I have automatic updates disabled (don't like things happening behind my back).

I get all of my updates (not just McAfee) manually and am quite fanatical about being "up-to-date". Updating everything is first and foremost whenever I logon.

FYI...I've spent countless hours on the phone with Tech Support to find out that, more often than not, problems such as this are entirely owned by McAfee. It's nothing new (and getting to be frustrating).

The last time it was a problem with MFEAPFK.SYS (Access Protection Filter Driver). Changing the default registry start value from 2 to 3 fixed that issue (I believe that McAfee has since addressed this fix).

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 27

The point I made about the versions is still relevant. McAfee has a set of different products, and the actual product you have is determined by what your ISP offers.

What is the name of the McAfee product (AntiVirus, Total Protection?)

What is your Affid number?

What are the version and build numbers for Security Center, AntiVirus/AntiSpyware, and Personal Firewall?

What was the date of the latest update for each?

That provides at least a basic set of information to work from. Knowing the creation date of the file (mfewfpk.sys) might also be useful.

If you're dealing with Tech Support they may already have asked all this, but please be patient. I'm starting from scratch here.

cad_techniche
Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Deleted post from yesterday. Here is updated info as of today.

Driver file (mfewfpk.sys) is dated 17MAR14. Once again, your assistance is very much appreciated.

VersionInfo.jpg

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 8 of 27

Hi,

I would like to know the Operating System and is there any other AV installed on the computer?

Please try to run the WFC tool " http://mcaf.ee/pi9vd " and let me know the message you're getting after running the tool.

on 17/5/14 6:02:49 AM IST
cad_techniche
Contributor
Message 9 of 27

The URL you have noted (mcaf.ee) is listed as a domain target of Eesti Interneti Sihtasutus (.ee) located in the country of Estonia.

I will not download and run any software of this nature due to the potential security risks associated with it. Thanks, but no thanks for your recommendation.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 27

You're mistaken,  mcaf.ee is McAfee's short URL service:  http://mcaf.ee/  Jayadeep is with McAfee Support and was offering a tool to run to help him to help you.

If your browser is redirecting you somewhere else then maybe malware is present.  Check a few tools in the last link in my signature below.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community