cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stumped
Former Member
Message 1 of 16

mcupdate.exe and mcupdmgr.exe Differences

Could someone please explain the difference in the functions performed by mcupdate.exe and mcupdmgr.exe?  Considering this service sucks up massive CPU, are both necessary?

15 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 16

Re: mcupdate.exe and mcupdmgr.exe Differences

Till someone from Mcafee can answer this

From various google searches

Mcupdate ....This process ensures the computer's virus definitions are up to date by connecting to McAfee's server on the Internet. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Mcupdmgr.exe....It is the McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager. This process should not be removed to ensure that your system is secure.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 25/08/12 7:57:08 PM
williamkidd
Former Member
Message 3 of 16

There is also a mcupdate.exe related to Windows Media Center that may be the culprit that you are looking for, stumped. Quite a few posts online are related to that file eating up resources rather than the McAfee mcupdate.exe. If you've opened Media Center at any time then mcupdate.exe will run to check for updates periodically. You might want to check the options inside MC to see if there is a way to turn off the updating although I did see one post that said that disabling the task may not keep it from running.

I don't see mcupdate.exe running on my system in Processes or Services (using Task Manager) and have never opened Media Center on this system so I'd be inclined to think that MC might be causing the problem that you're experiencing.

stumped
Former Member
Message 4 of 16

Thank you for the courtesy of your responses.

I do not have Windows Media Center on my computer.

The mcupdate.exe I am referencing resides under C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent.  I'm pretty sure that's McAfee.  It is referenced as McAfee Update Launcher.

For the past couple of weeks, the process has been running off and on incessantly every second or so for hours on end in my task manager, spiking CPU usage and freezing my computer.  I have seen this issue raised here and in other computer forums.  McAfee's resolution is to uninstall and reinstall McAfee, but even that does not resolve.

After coming close to removing McAfee altogether from my computer and using another service, I blocked mcupdate.exe from Internet connection under the McAfee firewall. Ironically, McAfee is still updating itself and I have all the most recent updates, including virus definitions assuming these are DAT updates.

This would seem to indicate mcupdate.exe has another purpose, and I would like to understand what that is.  I don't seem to be missing anything literally by blocking the program, but I want to be sure I'm not missing something figuratively.

williamkidd
Former Member
Message 5 of 16

Ok, that sounds like what I was experiencing with my system but I was also getting a popup message that said "McAfee Update Launcher has stopped working" along with the details for the error. Are you still able to surf on that computer and if so are you using another DNS server, such as OpenDNS or Google DNS?

That is the correct location for mcupdate.exe (C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent) and mcupdmgr.exe is in C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSC.

These are the steps that fixed the issue for me:

1) Uninstall McAfee Security Center using Control Panel (Programs and Features).

2) Ran MCPR.exe and restarted the computer.

3) Downloaded and installed McAfee again using my account.

4) Verified that DAT version was 6809 or later inside SC.

My question would be did you run MCPR.exe after uninstalling Security Center? The instructions say to run it only if you have problems uninstalling SC from Control Panel but it's a good idea to run it no matter what.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 16

Both of you can you run the MVT program and see if it finds anwthing?

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Your system clock on correct date?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/08/12 6:37:33 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/08/12 6:38:24 AM
stumped
Former Member
Message 7 of 16

I'm wondering if someone is able to answer my original question?

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 16

We asked and karthiks the forum admin was asked to help you. If no contact is a day or so PM me please

stumped
Former Member
Message 9 of 16

I received an email inviting me to connect with them on chat.  Unfortunately, I do not have another hour or more to waste on this matter.  I have spent many hours over two weeks researching and trying to correct this problem.  If you can't ask and receive a simple answer to a question here, then McAfee is wasting an opportunity to understand what matters to their customers.

For others who may wander by here in the future wondering the same thing as me (because this isn't the first time this has happened), I have come to believe that mcupdate.exe is not a critical function.  In fact, I believe it is some kind of data reporting file for the benefit of McAfee named something that few would dare question.  After sheer frustration, I disabled it in the Firewall and it has had no impact on my service.

When renewal time comes up (or sooner, if necessary), I will switch to something else.  There are better ways to be investing my time. 

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 16

Your issue in not commom that is why the admin wanted to see this happening and get some logs. Mcupdate as far as I have seen is fairly begin. Have you or would you be able to uninstall and reinstall Mcafee? That especially if you install via the Au server with get you the new 2012 version.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community