cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mac_mdp
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

mcsync.exe application error

I'm getting mcsync.exe application error oftenly.

No new softaware, no alcohol %.

I googled and found info about a possible virus disguised as mcsync.exe that can cause for example unexpected restarts after booting.

And this error msg started after a suspicious system restart just after turning on my dell mini.

mcsync.exe is located inside .../McAffe/MSC folder.

Is this a virus that has overtaken mcsync.exe, a corrupted file or bad update?

Sin título-1.jpg

BTW, Chrome listed McAffe site as unsecure

9 Replies
chipw93
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

Re: mcsync.exe application error

I am starting to get the same errors.... I know the Microsoft just did a list of updates, but i can't remember if the errors started before or after the updates

hopeless1
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

is it this? "synchronization application has encountered a problem and needs to close"

in the details  I see mcsync.exe   and szAppVer 11.0.674.0   some more if someone wants it to compare with

it's been driving me nuts for more than 5 days now.  We lost power for 3 days but I don't think the computer was on when the power snapped off.

P.S.  It just did it again as I'm typing this so it doesn't keep me from using the computer  

PPS I just got a pop-up that McAfee updated (dat)....

now here it comes at me again!  "the synchronization application has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience.  if you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. please tell Microsoft about this problem. We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous. to see what data this error report contains click here."  "send error report"  "don't send"

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 7/11/12 6:09:05 PM GMT-05:00
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 10

It's also being discussed in this thread. It may be caused by something in the new release of SiteAdvisor.

I had it too, and found the McAfee error logs for mcsync and uploaded all the messages from just before and after it happened. The logs have been passed on to the techs so they can check whether SiteAdvisor is involved.

If anyone else can provide excerpts from mcsync log files (please, not the entire file - there should be groups of messages for each failure) as well as the version of SiteAdvisor you've got (and when it updated to 3.5, if applicable) that would be very helpful.

mac_mdp
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

SiteAdvisor 3.5.0.221

updated 10 jul 12

I have 3 logs, located at .../MCLOGS/MISP/mcsync/, i can send them by email,

korsakov
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Ever since Windows XP got updated a couple of days ago I do receive the same annoying messages.

The debugger indicates the following code line in function ShouldShowMessage(pMessageHelper)  as critical:

// Is IE/FF not the default browser?

var DefaultBrowser = pMessageHelper.GetDefaultBrowser();

if(0 != DefaultBrowser && 1 != DefaultBrowser)

{

g_Extern.DeleteMessage();

return false;

}

hopeless1
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

windows XP service pack 3  Dell computer here.  Site Advisor updated on  7/5/12  to Site Advisor 3.5.0.217. I can't find any logs, sorry ~ if they are somewhere I don't know where to look.

Message was edited by: hopeless1 on 7/12/12 9:21:53 AM GMT-05:00
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 10

mcsync logs are in a number of places, as I just discovered. Different logs show different information - some with error messages, others just progress reports.

mcsync locations.PNG

Most of the mcsync errors are on XP so far, with one report from a Vista user. Versions range from 3.4.x.x to 3.5.0.223, so tweaks to the code haven't yet removed the underlying cause. I haven't seen a repeat of the problem yet : my system is being unusually well behaved just when I want it to misbehave

mac_mdp
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

After SA update a few days ago no more errors msg so far

hopeless1
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

Friday the 13th!  have had about 24 hours with no interruptions from mcsync.exe application error. ( I hope I haven't just jinxed myself.)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community