cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cluelesswonder
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

mcafee not completing scans

I figured I might have a virus when my mcafee alert came on to say that my computer was unprotected while I was on the internet.  When I tried to run a full scan, it stalls out at 14%, and is very slow to get to 14%.  I left my pc on, and 2 hours later, still at 14%.  My harddrive crashed about 3 weeks ago, and installed a new one, reinstalling windows 7 on my laptop (said laptop is 5 months old).  I have no problem reinstalling windows, et al back on it, as nothing important was on this computer.  But is there an easier (and faster way) to fix this?

Thx

13 Replies
devonscouse
Former Member
Message 2 of 14

Re: mcafee not completing scans

I have a similar problem as to regarding Full Scan scanning taking for ever. After 1 hour it  managed 300 files. So to get a scan of some sorts to take place I went for a Custom Scan and de- selected scan using minimal resources.

BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 3 of 14

Hi,
Sorry for the delayed response, Please clarify If you made any recent changes to the system (Computer- Software or hardware)?
Let me know the McAfee version installed in your system?
Did you have any other security software installed in the computer?
How do you connect to the internet (DSL, cable..)?

What is the version of McAfee you have?

devonscouse
Former Member
Message 4 of 14

Only changes recently updates of windows and McAfee.

McAfee Security centre Version 10 fully up to date

No other security on computer

Wireless connection.

Running Windows 7 Home premium.

cluelesswonder
Former Member
Message 5 of 14

I had to reinstall win 7 about 3 weeks ago.  I have not installed anything other than the drivers, mcafee, ms works and open office.  I have not downloaded anything from the internet, other than open office.  I connect to the internet via dsl with a wireless modem.  There is no other security program on my harddrive.

The most recent versions of McAfee are:

Security center: 9.15

Virus scan: 13.15

personal firewall:  10.15

Antispam:  10.15

parental controls:  11.15

cluelesswonder
Former Member
Message 6 of 14

any help appreciated...

mcafee is still not working correctly

sarcassm
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

It has been a month and this issue has not been answered.  What's the deal?  This seems to be a fairly common problem. 

I too am having a similar issue.  When running scan it hangs on some file and won't go any farther.  I can skip the file, but then it will hang on another one.  In order to finish a quick scan I had to skip at least 30 files in different places.  Also, windows action center keeps showing me this error and am not finding out why.

ScreenShot001.bmp

I am running a Dell inspiron 560 running Windows 7.  McAfee came with comp. a few months ago.  Also running Iobit Security, Spybot and Malware bytes.

Since this is the official McAfee forum, it would be nice to have our problems taken care of.

Message was edited by: sarcassm on 4/17/10 5:48:21 PM CDT
kniel187
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

This one is NOT answered as of yet.

I have for the last few weeks been seeing this issue - the scheduled scan starts, gets about halfway or so done, and then freezes my computer completely (I cannot even use the Task Manager to end the running applications.). This appears to only be affecting the full scan portion of the McAfee software so far (manual or scheduled, it is the same result).

I have the latest version of Internet Security Suite (2010, with all the updates) installed on a Windows Vista (64-bit) machine. This software was working fine until roughly a month ago. Unfortunately, since the computer freezes and has to be complete rebooted (in some cases CHKDSK runs before the computer starts again, it's that bad of a crash) I don't know what file it's hanging up on and I don't have an error report to refer to.

Is there any suggestions to proceed here? Let me know if there is any specific information I can give to help here as well. In the meantime, I will be turning off my scheduled scans so I am not killing my computer once a week (which kinda seems counter productive). Thanks!

Ken

brodie42092
Former Member
Message 9 of 14

i run weekly scans, and the past 2 weeks, my laptop has frozen up when the scan is 71% completed, and i have to unplug the computer and remove the battery to completely reboot it...im running XP, and i have automatic updates from McAfee enabled...any idea what's going on?

newjack
Former Member
Message 10 of 14

Kniel187,I have also had problems with my machine since an update a while back.I have seen that the update effects XP users but i don`t think this is true.Though i don`t have a problem with the scan frezzing i have had other various problems since that update.Like yourself,I am not running XP but windows 7.I am also in need of answers as there has been few.Hope this is problem is fixed soon.

Good luck,i know i need some.LOL!

Jack

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community