Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deights
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

help?

hi,

im not really the computer type so wondering if you guys could help me out.

everytime i turn on my laptop(dell inspiron 15r) it stays active for a few minutes then cuts out and blue square comes up saying that the laptop is shutting down and doing a data dump? then it restarts and asks me to run in  safe mode

ive had a look in the event viewer and this is what comes up

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

event 41 kernel power

i can start and run in safe mode but this doesnt allow me to use word documents etc which i need for assignments that are due this week if anyone knows what is going on or how to fix that would be great

cheers

10 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 11

Re: help?

I wonder if this is the network diver needs updating issue.

Is this windows 7? 64 bit?

Some thoughts

1 What network and wireless network driver brand are you using is it Atheros? If that brand update your driver.

2. NO other security software install before Mcafee? Even if it has been removed.

3. Post version of Security centre and build no. Also for Virusscan.

deights
Former Member
Message 3 of 11

yea its windows 7 64 bit

no other security software.

i wouldnt know what the network driver is im on campus at university if that helps?

where woould i find all this info?

cheers

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 11

This might assist

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1783

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 21/03/11 6:43:30 AM
deights
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

that link didnt work mate

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

What other security software do you have installed (Anti-malware, anti-spyware etc.)?

You state that you can get into Safe Mode OK in which case can you initiate System Restore to before this happened?

If you can then don't forget to update Windows, McAfee and anything else that may need it.

You wont lose documents etc, by doing that.

You can start System Restore by clicking Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

'event 41 kernel power' is a generic error covering a whole host of issues and simply means the system shut down unexpectedly by means other than the normal method.

You might be well advised to post for help on a qualified forum for laptops too as it may have nothing to do with McAfee.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/03/11 7:21:37 EDT AM
Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 11

Link works though in case it does not now below what I was on about. No guarantee this is it as Peter says that error can be heaps of issues. As you make safe mode probably not this issue but worth a check

Some user experience Blue Screen Of Death caused due to Atheros Network Adaptors (version - 7.7.0.343)-

Symptom: After upgrading McAfee or for a fresh install McAfee, some users gets BSOD after the reboot of the computer as soon as McAfee is installed. Users  are not able to boot the computer neither in Safe Mode with Networking nor in Normal Mode. After diagnosing the machine we found that user with WLAN_Atheros(Foxconn)  driver version - 7.7.0.343-x86x64  commonly getting the BSOD error. Since Network driver is not up to date 

Please follow the steps suggested below and ensure you have latest version of Network Wireless adaptor driver:

Steps to check Version of network Adaptor

Open Device manager

Right click on Computer

click on manage

In the left hand panel click on Device Manager

Right click on network adaptor

Click on property

If its WLAN Atheros Adaptor (Atheros AR5b93) driver make sure Version 8.0.0.238

If not update the driver and make sure we get the latest.

If it’s not getting update check with OEM Website (system manufacture web site ) for latest driver or call your System vendor to get it updated.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 21/03/11 6:49:49 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 21/03/11 6:50:37 AM
deights
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

ive tried system restore but it goes to the Blue screen of death again in safe mode.

is there a way to open microsoft word and have sound in safe mode? cause right now i have neither

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 11

So you said no blue screen if in safe mode originally correct? If so restore to that time and follow my network driver upgrade steps or at least check if that driver brand is used.

Mate you do have the driver I checked specs for the laptop and found

Wi-Fi Options:
Atheros
Wireless-N 802.11n Mini-Card (standard)

The driver needs updating that should help. Will ask techs how one dooes that if you cannot get to safe mode. Try safe mode with networking maybe.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 21/03/11 6:46:55 PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 11

deights wrote:

ive tried system restore but it goes to the Blue screen of death again in safe mode.

is there a way to open microsoft word and have sound in safe mode? cause right now i have neither

No there isn't unfortunately.

There's a Tutorial on how to do a repair installation of Windows 7 here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html?ltr=R

Any questions you could try posting there.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community