cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpd2014
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

does mcafee take care of registry problems or do I need an additional utility program like regcure?

Jump to solution

I ran the scan for the regcure and it found a lot of problems to fix.  I wanted to know if there is something in the Mcafee security system I already have that would take care of this , or do I need to purchase another item?  Thanks in advance for any info on this subject

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cpd2014
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Re: does mcafee take care of registry problems or do I need an additional utility program like regcure?

Jump to solution

Thank you both for the information... it was very insightful and helpful.( and I did not add the regcure.. just ran the free scan but did not purchase or download... ty)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: does mcafee take care of registry problems or do I need an additional utility program like regcure?

Jump to solution

Moved to General Discussion.

McAfee's own software takes care of malware mainly but does have a utility (Quickclean)  that augments Windows own cleanup tools to a limited extent.. However I personally do not recommend any of the popular registry cleaners as they inevitably remove more than they should and cause malfunctions.    You may see PC Utilities such as "Registry Power Cleaner" at the bottom of McAfee's product pages but those are not McAfee products and are made by Winferno and only advertised as part of a sales agreement.

Over the years these forums have had many complaints of systems or software not working properly, only to discover that registry cleaners have been used and often they can be blamed for the problems.

If you still want to use one I suggest you research it thoroughly before making a decision.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

cpd2014 wrote:

I ran the scan for the regcure and it found a lot of problems to fix.

You ran RegCure? From Paretologic? Oh, dear. I hope you didn't allow it to do anything to your registry.

For what it's worth, here is Microsoft's official view of registry cleaners and whether they should be used. This document should be made compulsory reading for anyone downloading a registry cleaner; anyone actually paying for a registry cleaner (and yes that means Winferno too, curse it) should be made to write the document out in full one hundred times and then memorise it.

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

This article describes the Microsoft support policy for customers who use registry cleaning utilities that rely on unsupported methods to extract or modify the contents of a Windows Registry.

The Windows registry is a database of settings for all hardware, software, and user preferences on your computer that controls how Windows interacts with your hardware and applications. Windows continually references the registry in the background and it is not designed to be accessed or edited.

And here are some user reviews from WOT of regcure-dot-com (a Paretologic site)

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/regcure.com

and of Paretologic

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/paretologic.com

Edit : I forgot to add this - a thread from the Microsoft forums. Read what the MVPs have to say about RegCure Pro and wince ...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/how-safe-is-regcure-pro/77693962-...

It's quite a long thread, and (as in other places) you will find some posters singing the praises of this product. Be aware that Paretologic has been accused of promoting its product by means of inserting positive reviews in places like this. Whether the accusation is true or not I cannot say, but the suspicion lingers.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 08/05/14 20:15:00 IST
cpd2014
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Thank you both for the information... it was very insightful and helpful.( and I did not add the regcure.. just ran the free scan but did not purchase or download... ty)

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Good for you, all the best 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community