Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 20

Re: can't start download

I think Windows is messed up somehow.  OK we know it's not up to date because it should be Vista SP2.  There's help with that and a link to the standalone SP2 installer here: http://community.mcafee.com/thread/2019

IE7 has been replaced by IE8 so maybe you could at least try to install that here:  http://www.microsoft.com/nz/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

try that last one at least, it may cure the situation.

luma
Former Member
Message 12 of 20

Something is wrong with McAffee networks. I have been trying to download av software after re-build and it doesnt work, I have tried with various platforms, browsers and networks - nothing.  Then i thought i'd go to support - where you need to download an application to even start using it and that application (mvt_en-us.msi) also fails to download.

Distressed...

Message was edited by: luma on 3/13/10 10:48:57 PM CST
Elurion
Former Member
Message 13 of 20

Go to command prompt and do a ping. (ping download.mcafee.com) verify the information about ping statistics for xx.xx.xx.xx you need Sent=4, received=4 lost=0.

Then go to hots file. Verity that its ok. For that click the windows logo and write drivers, folder etc.

If the hosts file have problem you can to reset. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Clean the folders %temp%, temp, prefetch. For that click the windows logo and write the names.

Then try install again

luma
Former Member
Message 14 of 20

Thank you Elurion!  That fixed it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 20

Dan, any help to you?

danwygant
Former Member
Message 16 of 20

EX BRIT thanks for helping! I'm further along but still no luck on Windows Updates or installing McAfee

I did get SP2 and IE8 v8.0.6001.18882 installed, thank you for the tips.

That eliminates that as the issue.

I also modified my hosts file as Elurion hinted to do... no luck.

So I'm still stuck needing to get Windows Updates working, and get McAfee installed.

I have to try the chat service this morning, perhaps they will know why, but the phone support only lead them to ask for $89 - BS.

I will either find and fix the problem or try some other software.

What a bummer! Thanks for moving the peg forward 5 clicks... WHAT NOW PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Dan

danwygant
Former Member
Message 17 of 20

Thanks Elurion, didn't get this completely... may still be needing help.

When I edited the hosts file two things:

1) it had the usual localhosts entry first, but the second line had:

::1     localhost

What is this?? I've never seen/heard of this syntax before??? What of it?

2) the host file was locked and I had to go around the world to replace it. I've never had that issue before.

Also, you said to delete everything in %temp% but one file would not delete.

Also you said to delete everything in temp and prefetch... I didn't do those because it didn't make sence... I reread your post this morning and will try again later.

Dan W @ yahoo

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 20

Dan,

Well that's at least good news regarding those two updates.  Try the Chat line as they are always free.

danwygant
Former Member
Message 19 of 20

Do please continue to help me find the solution.

I went back and tried to get it to work after trying to remove %temp%, temp, and prefecth (key-in from windows icon) but:

1) some files wouldn't remove

2) it didn't help any - still McAfee's DMSetup.exe fails almost right away.

I really hope I can find a solution for getting McAffee installed. I'll be trying the chat this afternoon. hope they have a direct download.

Dan W @ yahoo

Message was edited by: Dan Wygant on 3/14/10 2:32:48 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 20

It's normal for some temp and %temp% files to resist removal so don't worry about that.   Good luck with the Chat session.  If anyone can get it to work, they will.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community