Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 11 of 19

Re: after McAfee update media extender disconnects

Hi All,

The McUICnt.exe will not load whenever McAfee has installed updates and Requires Restart for completion of Update Installation. Try the below steps and post the Outcome..!

Open McAfee UI > Update Tile > Update Settings > Choose option "Download Update and do not Install" > Click Apply and close McAfee User Interface.

Try updating McAfee manually and wait for it to download and Install. Restart the Computer and check if the Update Settings are set to Download and Not Install.

After this McUICnt.exe should not Interrupt the Media Extender.

Please make sure the Drivers/ Apps / Firmwares of the Media Extender are Upto Date..!

Regards

tribs
Former Member
Message 12 of 19

"Try updating McAfee manually and wait for it to download and Install. Restart the Computer and check if the Update Settings are set to Download and Not Install."

it's not clear what you mean by the above. do you want me to reinstall McAfee manually?.

the_upside
Former Member
Message 13 of 19

Update from my Dec 9, 2013 7:29 PM report

I called McAfee Tech Support in early December. Over 2-3 weeks we worked thru McAfee Customer Support (uninstalled / reinstalled software, etc), Tech Level 1 & 2 (who collected many: logs; dumps; and screen shots, during controlled tests). Everything was turned over to McAfee development.

Temporarily, I’m running with: Navigation \ Settings \ General Settings and Alerts \ Use Access Protection \ turned off. The Xbox connector to Media Center is working OK.

The two messages below do not have anything to do with the extender disconnect as they continued after the problem went away (with Access Protection turned off).

Event ID: 109 - An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Centerwith file name 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe',could not retrieve the window title.

Event ID: 109 - An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Centerwith file name 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe',could not retrieve the window title.

tribs
Former Member
Message 14 of 19

turning off "Access Protection", did not work for me.

turning off vul scan as suggested before didn't work either.

any other suggestions?.

Peacekeeper
Message 15 of 19

What he was saying is set the update to download and not install ie reboot after it shows it has downloaded and you have manually installed it and and check that the settings stay the same. Then  use the extender and after that you can update when you are not using the extender. This a work around and we asked the techs to check up and confirm a fix is in 13.9 or some version of same.

tribs
Former Member
Message 16 of 19

here is how it is currently working.

after it kept disconnecting. I turned off Firewall for 15 minutes, so far after more than 45 minutes it is still on.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 17 of 19

Hi tribs,

It seems that you have a different issue where turning AP off doesn't help. I would suggest you try the below workaround and check if that helps..!

Goto the manufacturer of Media Extender (Xbox 360) and find the default IP (range if available) of the same. Open McAfee UI > Web Email Protection > Firewall Settings > My Network Connections > Add > Input the IP here and set the type to Home. Click Apply and close the UI.

Reconnect the Media Extender and check if issue persists..!

tribs
Former Member
Message 18 of 19

all we are doing is hit and miss.

it didn't work. it even made it worse now I cannot connect to xbox. reverted the changes turned off Firewall and then it connects for a while, less than a minute and disconnects...I must have spend over a week now trying to make McAfee work

I know the fix...but will have to wait until tomorrow morning

flanneryd
Former Member
Message 19 of 19

I was experiencing the same issue: my Ceton Echo was working fine until about a month ago (could've been two months). Then, the Echo started reconnecting to my network every 3-4 minutes. I've been working through Ceton support, when they highlighted the same error message as others are seeing (from a diagnostic file that I sent to them):

I then did a search on the McAfee file, McUICnt.exe, which led me to this forum & thread.

There are several suggestions offered in this thread, but being lazy, I tried the easiest one first. It worked for me, and my Echo is no longer reconnecting constantly and driving me mad.

Thank you to the_upside and post #12. THIS WORKED: "Temporarily, I’m running with: Navigation \ Settings \ General Settings and Alerts \ Use Access Protection \ turned off."

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community